none
Surface Pro 3 MDT/WDS Deployment Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hey all,

We are trying to get our WDS/MDT setup to work on the Surface Pro's, mainly the Pro 3. Currently the issue we have is that the PXE Boot doesn't ever connect to the server.

I am using the MS Surface Pro Adapter and we start the PXE boot process by holding down the volume down and power button. It starts the process, states that the media is present, starts trying to connect over IPv4 and then, too quickly to see flashes something on the screen, before switching over to IPv6 which is not set up on our network.

The Ethernet adapter works just fine if we boot into the Surface Pro

The firmware is up-to-date.

The imaging process works just fine when imaging to other machines.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcome on this one =)

Thanks

Adam.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:37 PM

Answers

• I would focus on the WDS Server? Specifically, what version OS are you using? when was the last time you updated the boot.wim images from MDT? Specifically what version of the ADK do you have installed on the MDT Server.

I would recommend using Windows Server 2012 as the WDS Server? along with the WIndows 8.1 ADK (latest version). Once you have updated the deployment share, update the boot files again on the server. that will ensure that not only the boot.wim files are updated, but all the other associated boot files as well.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, February 16, 2015 7:00 AM

All replies

• Is it failing before PXE even gets an IPv4 address? If so it seems like this must be something fundamental - do you have a USB hub you could try removing from the mix, or is the Ethernet adapter plugged straight in? An alternate Surface Pro to test?

If it's getting an IP address, but failing at the point where it connects to do the TFTP part, maybe it has something to do with EFI settings? Newer WDS environments support EFI PXE booting and I think the Surface Pro does too. I don't know if you have to do any special configuration to get that to work - possibly just tell EFI PXE systems to use the same boot media as the legacy stuff.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 10:21 PM
  • As far as I can tell it is failing before it gets an IPv4 address. Something does flash on the screen suggesting that there is some sort of brief communication with the server, but it is so quick that it is impossible to read and I can't guarantee that is what it says.

The Ethernet adapter is plugged straight into the SP3 and Ethernet cable and I can confirm I have tried a different Surface Pro which does the exact same thing.

Friday, February 13, 2015 6:16 PM
  • I would focus on the WDS Server? Specifically, what version OS are you using? when was the last time you updated the boot.wim images from MDT? Specifically what version of the ADK do you have installed on the MDT Server.

I would recommend using Windows Server 2012 as the WDS Server? along with the WIndows 8.1 ADK (latest version). Once you have updated the deployment share, update the boot files again on the server. that will ensure that not only the boot.wim files are updated, but all the other associated boot files as well.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Monday, February 16, 2015 7:00 AM