How do you set Windows Classic Desktop Theme via GPO for all Remote Desktop Users in Server 2008 R2? RRS feed

• Question

• We have setup a brand new 2008 R2 domain with a brand new 2008 R2 Remote Desktop Services (Terminal Server).

The Admin logins default to the Windows Classic Theme (note- They do not use roaming profiles).  Our problem is that all Remote Desktop Users end up with the Windows 7 Aero Theme as their default theme.

We have a User OU and corresponding GPO for all of our Remote Desktop Users taht shou;d force the Windows Classic Theme.  These users all have Roaming Profiles.

We have set the following GPO setting:

User Config\Policies\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Personalization\Force a specific visual style file or Force Windows Classic (set to enabled and left blank...as the description specifies)

When the users login for the first time they still get the Windows 7 Aero Theme:

Any ideas why this isn't working as intended?

Thx
    Ed
    Monday, October 26, 2009 10:14 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Thank you for your post here.

I think it should be expected that users still get the Windows 7 Aero Theme when they log onto the TS server first time because Windows 7 Aero Theme is the default setting in default profile on the server.

To achieve the goal, you may try customize the Default user profile on the Windows Server 2008 R2 server. With this Default profile, you will not need to deploy that GPO to force Windows Classic theme for all users that logs onto the Windows Server 2008 R2 TS server.

How to customize the default local user profile when you prepare an image of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959753

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:52 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your post here.

I think it should be expected that users still get the Windows 7 Aero Theme when they log onto the TS server first time because Windows 7 Aero Theme is the default setting in default profile on the server.

To achieve the goal, you may try customize the Default user profile on the Windows Server 2008 R2 server. With this Default profile, you will not need to deploy that GPO to force Windows Classic theme for all users that logs onto the Windows Server 2008 R2 TS server.

How to customize the default local user profile when you prepare an image of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959753

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 10:52 AM
  • Miles-  Thanks for your reply.  I looked over kb959753 and using sysprep is a bit more involved than we want to get with this or probably need to.

We are simply looking to have the Classic Blue background display for the default user without the Windows Aero theme.

What is happening now is that RDP connections end up with a black background because the Aero theme is supressed because the RDP client settings turn off desktop backgrounds.

Any idea How we programatically force all users into the "classic blue background"?

Thanks,
    Ed

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 6:59 PM