Jump lists for folders in toolbars RRS feed

• Question

• I love the concept of jumplists, and pinning items there in. BUT after putting a random (but important) folder as a toolbar onto my taskbar it's dissappointing to see it those folderss appear as just icons (compared to pinning the explorer task which shows a jumplist of folders).

For those really important ones, instead of just pinning them in the explorer's jump list, having them as a toolbar means there is more room in the explorer jumplist for other recently accessed folders.

The issue is that those folder icons, within the taskbar toolbar, could have a jumplist of files and subfolders. Right click and then open the subfolder.
    Thursday, November 12, 2009 4:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

As a work around, I recommend you to create a new toolbar to store the important folders. To do this, please take the following steps:

1) Right click the Taskbar==>Toolbars==>New toolbar.
    2) Select the folder: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Startmenu\Programs .
    3) Right click the Taskbar==>Unlock the taskbar.
    4) Right click the Taskbar to uncheck "Show text" and "Show title", then check View==>Large Icons.
    5) Right click the Toolbar==>Open Folder.
    6) Create several folders to arrange your files.
    7) Drag the important folder shortcuts to the created folders.
    8) Unlock the Taskbar, then you can directly access your important folders by clicking the new toolbar and expand related folders.

The above method seems as a Classic Menu in Windows 7.

For more references, please refer to the following websites:

UNAWAVE

Please note: we provide the third party link for references, Microsoft doesn't guarantee any change in this website.

Best Regards
    Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, November 23, 2009 2:58 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:53 AM

All replies

• Hi,

"For those really important ones, instead of just pinning them in the explorer's jump list, having them as a toolbar means there is more room in the explorer jumplist for other recently accessed folders. "

Answer:  The pinned folders don't take up the room of the Windows Explorer jumplists for recent accessed folders. By default, if you pin a folder to the taskbar, this folder will be added to the pinned area of the Windows Explorer jumplists. There are two seperate area in Windows Explorer jumplists, one is the pinned area, while the other is the recent area. For your requrements, if you want to let Windows Explorer jumplists showing more recent items, you can simply set a larger value for the number of recent items in jumplists by customing the Start Menu. Meanwhile, you can create a new toolbar and drag the important folders to this toobar, then minimize the toolbar to the right or left side of the taskbar.

Best Regards
    Dale
    Monday, November 16, 2009 8:40 AM
  • indeed however I meant literally on the screen 1200 lines tall, having a normal font, it can occur that there are many importatn pinned items, and also many recent items.

Since they are convenience items it is like gaudy to have hundreds of them, but, removing important pinned items leaves more room for recent items. without the list ending up in multiple colums (if supported).

I meant that when there are literally hundreds of recent items I don't want more than 1 column, but do want it to use the entire screen rather than a limited number of items being shown.

Also, I have a vertical taskbar so that folder appear with names (when horizontal it is very difficult todisplay the names). I can have a few folders as toolbars with icons (folders). But since they have subfolders I still have to open them to access the subfolders, instead of keeping a small list of main important folders and be able to see their contents as a jumplist (showing content and subfolders), or a mini explorer pane which would allow full access to content and subfolders instead of opening another explorer process.
    exploring wmplayer 12 secure internet sharing
    Monday, November 16, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Hi,

As a work around, I recommend you to create a new toolbar to store the important folders. To do this, please take the following steps:

1) Right click the Taskbar==>Toolbars==>New toolbar.
    2) Select the folder: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Startmenu\Programs .
    3) Right click the Taskbar==>Unlock the taskbar.
    4) Right click the Taskbar to uncheck "Show text" and "Show title", then check View==>Large Icons.
    5) Right click the Toolbar==>Open Folder.
    6) Create several folders to arrange your files.
    7) Drag the important folder shortcuts to the created folders.
    8) Unlock the Taskbar, then you can directly access your important folders by clicking the new toolbar and expand related folders.

The above method seems as a Classic Menu in Windows 7.

For more references, please refer to the following websites:

UNAWAVE

Please note: we provide the third party link for references, Microsoft doesn't guarantee any change in this website.

Best Regards
    Dale

• Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, November 23, 2009 2:58 AM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:53 AM