none
Tasks Sheet Update RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My resources are updating their time in the Tasks sheet.

I want to view the hours that my resources entered. Is it possible? If yes, where and how?

Thank you.

Siva Chaitanya

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 11:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You could go to the resource center, select your team and check their assignments. You'll see their planned work and the actual work (once validated by the project manager).

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:05 PM
  • I thank you for the agile response Guillaume.

Irrespective of Project Manager's validation (Approval), is there a way i can view the resource's actual work?

Thank you.

Siva Chaitanya

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:14 PM
  • Unless you run a delegation session on behalf of the approver, you cannot see the time submitted before approval.

Note that if you use the single entry mode with the timesheet page (and not the task page), you can access the timesheets so the actual workat any status, even if it is just saved and not submitted/approved. This can be done through reporting (PowerBI, Excel).

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:35 PM
  • Thank you Guillaume.

My resources are updating only on the tasks sheet. So, SEM is not for me.

Could you please let me know how to run delegation session and where to see the time submitted before approval?

Thank you.

Siva Chaitanya

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:41 PM
  • Here is an article about delegation:

http://www.mpug.com/articles/using-project-server-delegation-feature/

Note that it is not a suitable solution since you'll have to open a session for each team member.

For the report, as far as I remember, you'll have to pick up the information in the publish DB. I'm not a developer so I4m afraid I can't help you on this.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:56 PM
  • Thank you, Guillaume. 

The concern is we encouraged resources to update their time in Tasks sheet instead of Timesheet. 

Because, Timesheet won't show all the tasks that are assigned to a resource for the entire project. Timesheet only shows the current period tasks. 

Concern:- We are unable to track resources time from tasks sheet until unless Project Manager approves as we discussed earlier. 

Is there any possibility from now on to request resources to update in Timesheet Page instead of tasks page?

Thank you.

Siva Chaitanya

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:07 PM
  • Hi Siva,

For sure it is a transition that should be supported by change management, communication and training for a GO LIVE.

But from a application point of view, this is not a big deal: you'll have a couple of settings for the timesheet configuration (approval chain, fixed routine, periods, timesheet approval...) and admin lines. Then just hide the task link in the quick launch menu and replace it by the timesheet link.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:15 PM
  • Thank you Guillaume. I hats off to your patience in answering my questions. You are a star.

The transition part can be taken care as we have a small team.

But, as i said earlier, the timesheet page is not showing all the tasks in the project. Instead, it shows few tasks for that particular time period. 

Could you please tell me how to make sure that all the tasks in the project (assigned to that resource) are visible in the timesheet page?

Thank you.

Siva Chaitanya

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:42 PM
  • You actually can't. Task page is assignment oriented (so it shows all user's assignments) whereas timesheet page is period oriented (it shows assignments on the current period). But the users can always manually add a row from existing assignments out of the current period. Also you could let the user accessing the task page, just in order to see all their assignments, but tell them to use the timesheet page for submitting updates.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:53 PM
  • In Project Sever 2016 (might be the same case for Project 2010), the user can actually add tasks in the future in the "current period".
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 5:19 PM
  • Just verified that on Project Server 2010 (PWA), a user can add insert tasks assigned to him/her.
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 5:22 PM