Desktop Icons RRS feed

• Question

• In the top left corner of the icon is a small check box not normally visible but revealed when you run your cursor over it. What function does the check box serve?

TIA, Gerry

• Edited by Gerry C J Cornell Sunday, May 13, 2012 1:01 PM
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Monday, May 14, 2012 3:33 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Sunday, May 13, 2012 1:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my knowledge, this behavior is due to the setting: Use check boxes to select items is enabled.

To disable it, please search Folder Options in Control Panel. And in View tab, please uncheck Use check boxes to select items.

However, if I misunderstand your concern, please let me know and capture a screenshot for it.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Tuesday, May 22, 2012 10:04 AM
    Monday, May 14, 2012 8:55 AM
  • Hi,

I like this features, which was added in Vista. You enable this feature by enable the option "Use check boxes to select items" in the Windows Explorer options. The checkboxes make it easier to select more fails. With the CRTL way it can happen that you copy files unintentionally.

Type the word folder into your Start menu, then choose the Folder Options that appears.  From the View tab, find the option to disable "use checkboxes to select items", and you'll be all set.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Mohammed Imtiyaz Ali

Monday, May 14, 2012 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my knowledge, this behavior is due to the setting: Use check boxes to select items is enabled.

To disable it, please search Folder Options in Control Panel. And in View tab, please uncheck Use check boxes to select items.

However, if I misunderstand your concern, please let me know and capture a screenshot for it.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, May 14, 2012 8:55 AM
  • Hi,

I like this features, which was added in Vista. You enable this feature by enable the option "Use check boxes to select items" in the Windows Explorer options. The checkboxes make it easier to select more fails. With the CRTL way it can happen that you copy files unintentionally.

Type the word folder into your Start menu, then choose the Folder Options that appears.  From the View tab, find the option to disable "use checkboxes to select items", and you'll be all set.

Thanks & Best Regards,

Mohammed Imtiyaz Ali

Monday, May 14, 2012 9:22 AM