none
Hyperlink malware in web browsers' key words RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I was just wondering if anyone has an idea on how to remove malware links in key words in a web browser (ex. IE11 or chrome)?

Everytime I open a web page, keywords are highlighted with a link to a product or website that is unrelated to the one I am in. For instance I went to technet.microsoft.com and in the search bar when I search for a subject a separate pop up or Tab is displayed. 

Very annoying and dangerous.

Your help is appreciated.

alfredo.

Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:50 PM

All replies

• Your computer is infected with Spyware / Malware.

Install a free malware removal tool, I recommend Spybot S&D

Install CCleaner

Run spybot first and remove all the malware

run ccleaner next to clean up your temporary files and unnecessary junk

run the registry cleaner tool in ccleaner to fix any broken registry entries

Make sure when you run these setups (any ANY setups in the future) to read the pages before clicking next! Sometimes programs contain 3rd party applications bundled with them that are not necessary and end up cluttering your system, or even worse, turning out to be malware!

Good luck! Let me know if this fixes the issue!

Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:46 PM
  • Your computer is infected with Spyware / Malware.

Install a free malware removal tool, I recommend Spybot S&D

Install CCleaner

Run spybot first and remove all the malware

run ccleaner next to clean up your temporary files and unnecessary junk

run the registry cleaner tool in ccleaner to fix any broken registry entries

Make sure when you run these setups (any ANY setups in the future) to read the pages before clicking next! Sometimes programs contain 3rd party applications bundled with them that are not necessary and end up cluttering your system, or even worse, turning out to be malware!

Good luck! Let me know if this fixes the issue!

Hi,

do NOT install Spybot S&D... it is not suitable for modern versions of IE and slows down the web browser considerably.

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. If you are a consumer looking for answers or to raise a question, it's highly recommended you head on over to http://answers.microsoft.com

Rob^_^

Friday, August 22, 2014 12:55 AM
  • Hi,

If this is the default web page content. There is no idea to remove it unless change its source code.

If this is caused by third party add-ons, please try Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) for test.

If it works fine, disable the add-ons one by one to find the culprit.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, August 22, 2014 9:52 AM
  • I don't know why people on this forum shoot down suggestions without providing a suggestion of their own... Yes Spybot does slightly slow down IE... Call me wrong if you'd like but I believe a slower browser is better than an infected browser. Regardless, I would suggest going through with the spybot install, you don't have to keep it on your system just use it to clean your system then you can uninstall it. Otherwise you can use any other alternative freeware spyware removal tool of your choice.

This is obviously not default web page content. Disabling your addons in IE is a troubleshooting step but by no means will solve your problem.

Friday, August 22, 2014 12:42 PM