none
Bandwidth Monitoring Help RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to find a program that is using up bandwidth on a PC that uses a 4G connection to talk to the world. I have found bandwidth monitoring software that will tell me how much data is being used and what program is using it but the suspect I'm looking for is using svchost.exe to connect which get's logged as a generic host name so I don't know what to shutdown. 

I've binged the question a few times but I'm not sure how to word it so I always end up back at the beginning again. I just need a simple (free) program that I can run locally to log these connections while I'm away. And it needs to log DNS and/or IP connections.

Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Monday, February 6, 2017 5:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi DDM Communications,

You could use the Microsoft build-in tool “resource monitor” to monitor the usage and accessing IP address.

In addition, we could perform a clean boot to troubleshoot whether the issue is caused by a third party service.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Best regards,
    Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 8:48 AM
  • Thanks for the response, what I need is to be able to go back and see what was using the bandwidth on 2/2/2017. I have a tool that monitors bandwidth but this particular service is being logged as "Host Process for Windows Services" so I can't tell what is actually causing the problem. It's really annoying! 
    Tuesday, February 7, 2017 1:34 PM
  • Wednesday, February 8, 2017 1:50 AM
  • Hi,

Did the issue occurr after performed clean boot? Did the issue occur again?

“what I need is to be able to go back and see what was using the bandwidth on 2/2/2017”

It is hard to analyze the past issue without enough information. If the issue occurred again, we could use the “resource monitor” tool to analyze the details of the bandwidth usage.

I suspect the issue is caused by a third party service. If the issue occurred again, we could check the symptom in a clean boot environment.

Best regards,

Joy.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:13 AM