none
Distributed Cache HELP!

Question

• I started seeing the below event in the Application logs, and then ran "Get-CacheHost" to find that all 3 hosts where "DOWN." I'm unable to "Get-CacheClusterHealth," "Start-CacheHost," etc... 

What can I do to get these services back up?

Event ID: 6398

The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.UserProfiles.LMTRepopulationJob (ID 68f548fb-d297-4025-89c9-e72cdd2f60b7) threw an exception. More information is included below.

Unexpected exception in FeedCacheService.IsRepopulationNeeded: Unable to create a DataCache. SPDistributedCache is probably down..

Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:53 PM

Answers

• Use Stop-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance then Remove-SPDistributedcacheServiceInstance on all of the hosts that are "running" DC. Then, on one server only, run Add-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance. Perform a Use-CacheCluster then Get-CacheHost. Does it report as UP?

Trevor Seward

Office Servers and Services MVP

Author, Deploying SharePoint 2016

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by SharePointAU Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:49 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:27 PM

All replies

• Use Stop-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance then Remove-SPDistributedcacheServiceInstance on all of the hosts that are "running" DC. Then, on one server only, run Add-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance. Perform a Use-CacheCluster then Get-CacheHost. Does it report as UP?

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by SharePointAU Thursday, March 16, 2017 5:49 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:27 PM
  • Yes Sir!

Do I run Add-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance on each server to get them back in the cluster?

Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:45 PM
  • That's correct. Unless you have a particular large deployment, you likely don't need any more than 2 cache hosts.

Trevor Seward

Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:48 PM
  • Great thank you. 

On the 2nd tier server i get "Use-CacheCluster : ErrorCode<ERRPS001>:SubStatus<ES0001>:Error in reading provider and connection string values. Please provide the values manually."

Do you know what this is referring too?

I am fixing this in Test, but I have the issue in Production as well. I'll get it rolling then move to PROD.

Thanks again.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:53 PM
  • You can only run Use-CacheCluster on a server with Dist Cache service instance installed to it.

Trevor Seward

Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:53 PM
  • Roger that.

I ran Add-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance first, and it appeared successful.

Should I have to run Start-CacheHost on the additional host?

I also get the following when Get-CacheHost is ran: 

"Get-CacheHost : ErrorCode<ERRPS013>:SubStatus<ES0001>:Error: No valid cluster settings were provided with Use-CacheCluster."

Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:57 PM
  • After running the Add-SPDistributedCacheServiceInstance, Check from central admin, DC is started on the server.

also run the below command to check the status.

Use-CacheCluster

Get-CacheHost 

Please remember to mark your question as answered &amp;Vote helpful,if this solves/helps your problem. ****************************************************************************************** Thanks -Waqas Sarwar(MVP) Blog: http://krossfarm.com

Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:40 PM