none
Sudden increase in roaming profile size (because it now includes Documents and other stuff)

Question

• When I rebooted my desktop today (for the first time in several weeks), I noticed it now takes several minutes for me to login. The first time it happened, I suspected the login process hung so I resorted to a "hard" reboot (i.e. by holding down the power button). However, the subsequent attempt also took a very long time -- but I walked away from the computer for a while and when I returned the login process had eventually completed and I saw my familiar items on the desktop.

However, I started seeing errors about exceeding my profile storage space. Note that I have a group policy configured to restrict profile storage to 250 MB. My current profile size is 5,795,030 (> 5GB).

I now see all files in my Documents folder being counted in the profile size calculation. However, I'm using Folder Redirection (via group policy) to store my documents on a file server -- and, consequently, these files were previously not counted as part of my profile.

I recently installed the latest round of patches via Windows Update (actually a local WSUS server) and I suspect the issue might be related to the following:

MS16-072: Security update for Group Policy: June 14, 2016

From <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3163622>

Also note that after applying the updates, I used the script in the following post to identify GPOs that needed to be "tweaked" to grant "Domain Computers" Read permission (and subsequently made the change to the GPOs):

MS16-072 – Known Issue – Use PowerShell to Check GPOs

From <https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/poshchap/2016/06/16/ms16-072-known-issue-use-powershell-to-check-gpos/>

Has anyone else seen a similar issue with their profiles suddenly ballooning in size?

It seems strange that something like this could "slip through the cracks" -- but given the fiasco with Windows 10 and roaming profiles (ref1, ref2, ref3, ref4), it is also quite possible that this configuration is something that is not included in the test plan.

• Edited by Jeremy Jameson Thursday, June 30, 2016 11:22 PM "cite" tags were not handled correctly after copy/paste
    Thursday, June 30, 2016 11:20 PM

Answers

• I confirmed the issue is due to MS16-072 -- and I'm not the only one who experienced the problem:

MS16-072 breaks folder redirection via GPO
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2965f29c-7b25-4533-9110-b9db6b487039/ms16072-breaks-folder-redirection-via-gpo?forum=winserverwsus

To resolve the issue, I ended up having to delete the cache for offline files on my Windows 10 desktop and rebuilding my roaming profile and "user" folders. Specifically, these are the steps that I used:

1. Logged out of my "domain session" (i.e. TECHTOOLBOX\jjameson) on my Windows 10 desktop.
    2. Logged in using a local account.
    3. Deleted the local copy of the roaming profile for my domain account (TECHTOOLBOX\jjameson).
    4. Opened Remote Desktop Connection to the file server (ICEMAN) used for roaming profiles and redirected folders.
      1. Renamed my roaming profile folder (\\ICEMAN\Profiles$\jjameson.v5\\ICEMAN\Profiles$\jjameson.v5-old).
      2. Renamed my "user" folder (\\ICEMAN\Users$\jjameson\\ICEMAN\Users$\jjameson-old).
    5. Deleted the cache for offline files (see KB230738 or KB942974) -- which involved restarting my Windows 10 desktop.
    6. Logged in using my domain account (which caused new roaming profile and "user" folders to be created on the file server).
    7. Copied the Documents folder and other content from my old "user" folder (\\ICEMAN\Users$\jjameson-old) to my freshly created new "user" folder (\\ICEMAN\Users$\jjameson).
    8. Reconfigured all my application settings and preferences.

Yeah, I know, this is a painful process and not viable in large environments with hundreds or thousands of users. However, given my experience over the past year using Windows 10 with roaming profiles and redirected folders, I started keeping a page in OneNote with all the steps necessary to rebuild my profile -- because it seems like rebuilding my profile is something I should expect to do at least a couple of times per year going forward.

I really wish this wasn't necessary, but as I often tell my clients, "It is what it is."

Monday, July 18, 2016 5:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your post.

I suggest you uninstall those updates MS16-072 first to check if those updates caused the problem.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, July 3, 2016 12:01 PM
  • I confirmed the issue is due to MS16-072 -- and I'm not the only one who experienced the problem:

MS16-072 breaks folder redirection via GPO
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2965f29c-7b25-4533-9110-b9db6b487039/ms16072-breaks-folder-redirection-via-gpo?forum=winserverwsus

To resolve the issue, I ended up having to delete the cache for offline files on my Windows 10 desktop and rebuilding my roaming profile and "user" folders. Specifically, these are the steps that I used:

1. Logged out of my "domain session" (i.e. TECHTOOLBOX\jjameson) on my Windows 10 desktop.
    2. Logged in using a local account.
    3. Deleted the local copy of the roaming profile for my domain account (TECHTOOLBOX\jjameson).
    4. Opened Remote Desktop Connection to the file server (ICEMAN) used for roaming profiles and redirected folders.
      1. Renamed my roaming profile folder (\\ICEMAN\Profiles$\jjameson.v5\\ICEMAN\Profiles$\jjameson.v5-old).
      2. Renamed my "user" folder (\\ICEMAN\Users$\jjameson\\ICEMAN\Users$\jjameson-old).
    5. Deleted the cache for offline files (see KB230738 or KB942974) -- which involved restarting my Windows 10 desktop.
    6. Logged in using my domain account (which caused new roaming profile and "user" folders to be created on the file server).
    7. Copied the Documents folder and other content from my old "user" folder (\\ICEMAN\Users$\jjameson-old) to my freshly created new "user" folder (\\ICEMAN\Users$\jjameson).
    8. Reconfigured all my application settings and preferences.

Yeah, I know, this is a painful process and not viable in large environments with hundreds or thousands of users. However, given my experience over the past year using Windows 10 with roaming profiles and redirected folders, I started keeping a page in OneNote with all the steps necessary to rebuild my profile -- because it seems like rebuilding my profile is something I should expect to do at least a couple of times per year going forward.

I really wish this wasn't necessary, but as I often tell my clients, "It is what it is."

Monday, July 18, 2016 5:03 PM