none
DPM Client with another backup agent installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We currently have a data server with around 120Gb to be backed up, at the moment we use a product called Commvault to do this (Agent based), data retention on the magnetic lib is 3 weeks and consumes around 372Gb or HD space.

I have been asked to install DMP and get this to also backup the same server to evaluate what the space difference is among other things.

Now I am aware that DPM also requires and agent on the client, so my question is wil they conflict or cause issues buth backin up on the same server?

Thanks

Robert

Regards, Robert --------- You can view my blog at: http://msopsmgr.blogspot.com/
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:27 AM

Answers

• DPM Agent installs a file filter in the machine for tracking changes to files & tranfer only the changes. However this filter operates above NTFS and there should not be any issues unless someone comes & alters data writes in between filter and NTFS which is unexpected. Theoritcally I don't see any issue to worry about so you can go ahead and start & let us know how things are happening.

Thanks VRMURHTY [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:13 AM

All replies

• Hi Robert,

DPM is an stand alone entity. It won't interfere with any other backup agent.

Only issue which can creep in is if an Anti virus or software like that has taken exclusive handle on the files to be backed up.

Regards

Mukul Shekhawat [MSFT]

This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:16 AM
  • DPM Agent installs a file filter in the machine for tracking changes to files & tranfer only the changes. However this filter operates above NTFS and there should not be any issues unless someone comes & alters data writes in between filter and NTFS which is unexpected. Theoritcally I don't see any issue to worry about so you can go ahead and start & let us know how things are happening.

Thanks VRMURHTY [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:13 AM