none
Can we change a Project Plan template after initial Project is created? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Here is our dilemma: 

We have EPT's associated with different Project Plan Templates.  But sometimes we don't know initially which template will need to be used for a project until after it's been created.  In a perfect world, we would like to create the Project in Project Server 2010 and just have the basic PDP page filled out (name, start date, etc..).  Then after some internal processes, we would determine which EPT/template (specifically the schedules with tasks -- which are extensive) would best fit and be chosen for that project.

I don't believe this is possible.  If not, we are willing to look into using Workflow (we'd need to use Solution Starters as we don't have developer time available).  The sample workflow has more steps than we are looking for.  My question is:  If we were using the proposal workflow process with a branching workflow, would we even be able to branch into different Project Plan Templates (or schedules) within the workflow?  Or do the branching options only allow for rejection/acceptance?

Thanks for your time and responses.  Of course, if anyone can think of a different alternative to our issue, that would be most appreciated!

Thursday, April 10, 2014 4:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Scott,

I'll let colleagues on this forum that are more expert about the workflows go much in deeper, but here is some clues.

As far as I know, a workflow attached to an EPT will be triggered as soon as the project creation PDP will be saved. This operation also triggers the project plan creation, eventually based on a template.

Thus I'd rather go through a different project initiation process. You could for example set up a "proposal list" on your PWA homepage where you'll be able to record kind of project "wishing list" and attach a 3-state approval/rejection workflow. Once the idea is approved, then you go to the project center and choose the appropriate EPT with the project template.

This is just a business oriented workaround that only requires a light configuration and some training.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

• Marked as answer by Scott_CF Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:24 PM
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott,

I'll let colleagues on this forum that are more expert about the workflows go much in deeper, but here is some clues.

As far as I know, a workflow attached to an EPT will be triggered as soon as the project creation PDP will be saved. This operation also triggers the project plan creation, eventually based on a template.

Thus I'd rather go through a different project initiation process. You could for example set up a "proposal list" on your PWA homepage where you'll be able to record kind of project "wishing list" and attach a 3-state approval/rejection workflow. Once the idea is approved, then you go to the project center and choose the appropriate EPT with the project template.

This is just a business oriented workaround that only requires a light configuration and some training.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Scott_CF Thursday, April 10, 2014 11:24 PM
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:09 PM
  • Scott,

1) Once you create a project, you can change the EPT, but that will not change the "Schedule" template that has already been created. 

2) I do not remember if the solution starter has a step available to change EPT automatically. It might be a manual activity you will need to do after a cetain stage in the process.

3) To me, it sounds like it might be far more beneficial for you, if you started with a simple SharePoint list to capture proposals, review and make the decision about EPT and then create a project in PWA. 

Here are couple of links that will help you understand what I am talking about:

This is one in Project Server 2013, but gives you an idea: http://www.prasannaadavi.com/2014/01/project-server-2013-workflows-series1.html

This one uses Nintex, an excellent workflow tool, but again gives you an idea: http://epmsource.com/2012/07/05/collecting-business-requests-in-sharepoint-and-automatically-pushing-into-project-server/

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:21 PM
  • Thank you both for your responses!  I think using a simple workflow in Sharepoint with a list is the way to go here.  I just haven't worked much with Sharepoint so I'm not too familiar with the capabilities.

Guillaume,

I see that I can create a page from my PWA site in which I can create the list and workflow as you mention.  Do you know if there's a way to have that list data automatically imported into a new project (where I can also choose the template)?  That would remove all manual processes for us and be a great solution!

Thanks,
    Scott

Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:36 PM
  • Hi Scott,

This feature has been introduced in PS 2013, but I'm afraid that you'll have to do that manually with PS2010 unless you develop some custom code.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:47 PM