none
FAST Search - search request was unable to connect to the search service RRS feed

• Question

• When I search in FAST Search center I get the search request was unable to connect to the search service.  If I try the search again it works fine.  If nobody searches for the next 5-7 minutes the error will occur again and a repeat of the search works fine.

Logs on the FAST server show QRProxy@server: systemmsg: An unhandled exception occurred: Unable to connect to SAM at Microsoft.SharePoint.Search.Extended.QRServer.ProxyWcf.InternalProcessRequest(String request).

I tried upping the logging level to debug but it did not report more than the SAM error.

Before and after the error I've checked nctrl status and everything is running.  I've tried restarting the SAM admin and worker services and the QRProxy from nctrl. 

So I'm looking for how to increase the logging around why QRProxy cannot connect to the SAM that seems to be running fine, and of course if someone has the answer I'll gladly accept that :)

• Moved by Nishant - MSFT Thursday, December 9, 2010 12:28 PM Misroute (From:SharePoint 2010 - General Questions and Answers)
    Friday, November 5, 2010 12:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For your situation, I think you can extend the time out for the application search.

For how to change the time out settings, please refer to:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee808862.aspx

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:36 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, I raised the timeout from 60 seconds to 120 seconds but and still having the issue.  When the error does occur it happens within 5-10 seconds.
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 2:19 PM
  • Hi,

Have you tried this known solution:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff393753.aspx

if no, please try it again.

Hope it is helpful!

Seven
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:55 AM
  • I did try the suggestions and have enabled logging.  here is the message I'm getting in qrproxy.svclog and am researching now.

The communication object, System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel, cannot be used for communication because it is in the Faulted state.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:35 PM
  • I may have found the answer, want to give it more time and testing before marking as the answer though.  In the %fastsearch%\bin directory I modifed QRProxyService.exe.config in the netTcpBinding section changed the reliableSession inactivity timeout to 30 minutes.  Its been about 12 hours and seems to be working so far.
    Friday, November 12, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Mark : I know its been long , just wanted to know if this solution worked for you after those 12 hours you mentioned.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:29 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Its along time, I know but please confirm me that the above proposed solution is working for you? 

Currently, I am facing the same issue while searching in Fast search "the search request was unable to connect to the search" and getting the below error.

Error: FastSearchGateway::GetQueryResult--Timeout Exception searching on QRServer: <<Fast server node:port>>-- Exception: System.TimeoutException: Timed out while waiting for query result. Code: 1105     

Thursday, April 12, 2018 6:28 AM