Dual Boot not showing windows7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I install Windows 10 on my second SSD (SATA1) My first SSD is Windows 7 (SATA 0) for a reason I don't know when it boot I don't have the option to select Windows 7 or Windows 10 It boot directly inside Windows 10. I check Inside System properties\ Startup and recovery and there no sign of my windows 7. I double check in Msconfig no trace there either . I'm able to see My windows 7 Drive in windows Explorer.

Is there a way to create that entry to have the Dual boot menu ?

Thanks, Christian

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 3:45 PM

Answers

• You can download EasyBCD, install it and run it https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ (free for non-commercial users). If the boot loader is still on your first drive, EasyBCD should be able to find it and allow you to add it as a second boot option.
    • Proposed as answer by Bill Kelly Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:01 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by WebHunter Tuesday, May 5, 2015 9:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by WebHunter Wednesday, May 13, 2015 1:43 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:00 PM

All replies

• Login to Win 10 > right click at Start button > select Run > type msconfig in the box > Ok.

click Boot at the top > do you see both Win 7 and Win 10 listed ?
    If yes, select Win 7 > select Set as default > OK > Reboot.

Does that work ?

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 6:52 PM
  • Windows 7 is not listed at all :-( Still trying to figure out how to recreate the entry for that !

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:07 PM
  • You can download EasyBCD, install it and run it https://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ (free for non-commercial users). If the boot loader is still on your first drive, EasyBCD should be able to find it and allow you to add it as a second boot option.
    • Proposed as answer by Bill Kelly Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:01 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by WebHunter Tuesday, May 5, 2015 9:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by WebHunter Wednesday, May 13, 2015 1:43 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 8:00 PM
  • I'm in a corporate environment  using windows 7 Ent. & Windows 10 Ent. I know they are third party software to create / manage multiple boot but this is my plan B. I think Microsoft have or should have this kind of tool to help us out with those kind of issue !
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 10:02 PM
  • Hi,

Please refer to this WiKi article in the link below:

How to restore missing dual boot menu in latest Windows 10 build

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-restore-missing-dual-boot-menu-in-latest/0f760ab7-26af-46a7-a5db-e0048a8cf3f4

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:49 AM
  • WebHunter,

I am on dual boot too. See if this method works for you.........

Press SHIFT key and hold > click Restart > select Use another operating system > ( does the screen shows 2 OSes now ? ) If yes, at the bottom, click Change Defaults > select Choose a default operating system > select Windows 7.

Restart computer.

On restart, do you get to choose which OS you want to use ?

Thursday, May 7, 2015 3:05 AM
  • I finally buy the commercial version of Easy BCD, at first it didn't work with the version v2.2 but with the help of their support technician I try the beta version 2.3 and now it's now working like a charm ! 

Thanks !

Wednesday, May 13, 2015 1:43 PM