none
How to run a GUI program via "PsExec" ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I like to run a program like "explorer.exe" via "PsExec" but when I did "psexec.exe \\remote IP explorer.exe" then never happened. Why?

Thank you.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 9:27 AM

Answers

• If you want to do it like your original post posted, it couldn’t achieve your goal.

But you could use RDP to see the remote PC’s Windows Explorer.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Windows.Geek Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:33 AM
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Windows.Geek.

According to the PsExec documentation page, you have to specify the remote computer name, not its IP address.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MCTS, MOS, MTA

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 1:54 PM
  • Hi,

I did the test. If I use \\computername or \\ip , it will create iexplorer.exe process in the remote PC task manager.

According to the following article, if you omit a user name, the process will run in the context of your account on the remote system, but will not have access to network resources (because it is impersonating).

PsExec v2.2:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/psexec

Here are screenshots.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 9:27 AM
  • I mean is I like to see an explorer in my system and browse remote PC.
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 11:10 AM
  • I did the test. If I use following command, it will open IE on remote PC.

Psexec \\computername -u username -p password -i “c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe”

Friday, September 29, 2017 8:14 AM
  • I did the test. If I use following command, it will open IE on remote PC.

Psexec \\computername -u username -p password -i “c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe”

I don't like to open anything on remote computer. I like to open "explorer.exe" on my computer but see remote PC "My Computer".

• Edited by Windows.Geek Saturday, September 30, 2017 11:28 AM
    Saturday, September 30, 2017 11:27 AM
  • psexec \\computer

computer: Direct PsExec to run the application on the remote computer or computers specified. If you omit the computer name, PsExec runs the application on the local system, and if you specify a wildcard (\\*), PsExec runs the command on all computers in the current domain.

For more information, please read following article.

PsExec v2.2:

Thursday, October 5, 2017 7:29 AM
  • psexec \\computer

computer: Direct PsExec to run the application on the remote computer or computers specified. If you omit the computer name, PsExec runs the application on the local system, and if you specify a wildcard (\\*), PsExec runs the command on all computers in the current domain.

For more information, please read following article.

PsExec v2.2:

Thus, My goal is impossible?
    Sunday, October 8, 2017 9:53 AM
  • If you want to do it like your original post posted, it couldn’t achieve your goal.

• Marked as answer by Windows.Geek Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:33 AM
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:35 AM

OK.

Thank you.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 11:33 AM
  • All you need to run your explorer on your local machine, go to "Network" and right click to map to a remote PC and drive, set up the connection and then explore on your local machine via that connection. There is never a need to run explorer on the remote machine (make sure the drives and folders you map to are set up as "shared" on the remote machine, though)
    Sunday, August 26, 2018 12:52 AM