none
Windows 7 Sync Center Taskbar Icon disappeared & no offline files partnership also RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have been scratching my head for a couple of days with this one and I have still not resolved it.  We are using folder redirection (deployed via group policy) for my documents, pictures and favorites.  The problem I have on my computer is that even though the event viewer for my computer suggests it has all redirected correctly with event id 501 "Successfully applied policy and redirected folder <foldername> to <UNCPATH>".  I have tried deleting my user profile and letting it re-create itself.  Moved my home drive onto another 2008 R2 file server.  Confirmed that the permissions are based on the following MS article; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2512089 .  Tried clean-booting the OS, but still no icon in the taskbar or partnership listed in sync center, even though I can work offline/online with the explorer buttons.  I can confirm that the offline files is working in the background as when I work in offline mode, then create a directory/file locally and then reconnect, I can see the data move to the server.

What is going on?  I am at the stage of completely ditching my machine!

Cheers

Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:27 AM

Answers

• I have re-built my computer as I could not live with this issue any longer.  On rebuild it all works as it should, so I do not understand what happened.  Obviously, offline-files still has operational issues that cant be explained, and although you can turn on verbose logging in event viewer, it is still a technology that still has some way to go in terms of further development.  There is not a real alternative to offline-files, so we will have to make do for the moment.  Don't get me wrong, it is a step in the right direction from the old XP days, but I think it needs to be improved so that troubleshooting can be made a little easier when things do go wrong.
    • Marked as answer by firewalker82 Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:36 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:36 PM

All replies

• Forgot to mention that I have also completely cleaned out the offline files cache, but no joy.
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

I'm trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay.

Appreciate your patience.

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, April 12, 2013 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

If you would like to see the Sync Center taskbar Icon in the taskbar, please try the following steps:

1. Open the Sync Center.

2. Open control panel, view by "small icons".

3. Click "Notification Area Icons"

4. Then you can see the following window and set to show icon and notifications.

Best Regards

Scott Xie

Friday, April 12, 2013 10:02 AM
  • Hi,

Any update to the current situation?

Niki Han
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 3:44 AM
  • I have re-built my computer as I could not live with this issue any longer.  On rebuild it all works as it should, so I do not understand what happened.  Obviously, offline-files still has operational issues that cant be explained, and although you can turn on verbose logging in event viewer, it is still a technology that still has some way to go in terms of further development.  There is not a real alternative to offline-files, so we will have to make do for the moment.  Don't get me wrong, it is a step in the right direction from the old XP days, but I think it needs to be improved so that troubleshooting can be made a little easier when things do go wrong.
    • Marked as answer by firewalker82 Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:36 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

I've also trouble with the Sync Center. I have the following problem: Via GPO is the homeshare of the user always offline available. The offline sync works fine and the files are offline available and can be used.

But in Sync Center there is no Sync Partnership and in the icon bar there is also no Sync Center icon. Can someone explain, how to fix it? Reinstallation of the clients is does not fix it, it's a problem on all Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 Clients.

Regards
    Tuesday, August 4, 2015 12:22 PM
    1. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box or the Serach programs and files box, and then press ENTER.  If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify

1. In the Details pane, click the IconStreams registry entry.
    2. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes.
    3. In the Details pane, click the PastIconsStream registry entry.
    4. On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click Yes.
    5. Exit Registry Editor.
    6. Restart the Explorer.exe process. To do these, follow these steps:
    7. Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    8. On the Processes tab in Task Manager, click the explorer.exe process, and then click End Process two times.
    9. On the File menu, click New Tasks (Run), type explorer, and then click OK.
    10. Exit Task Manager.
    11. If you are running Windows 7, follow these additional steps:
    12. Click Start, type Customize icons and then click Customize icons on the task bar.
    13. Click Turn system icons on or off, and then set Volume, Network, and Power System to On.
    14. Click OK, make sure that the behavior for Power, Network, and Volume are set correctly, and then click OK.
    Friday, April 28, 2017 11:43 AM