none
Upgrade LTSB 1507 to Enterprise 1511? RRS feed

• Question

• We need to upgrade some of our LTSB systems to CBB 1511.

I know we can just boot from the ISO and install over the top, but we need it to be more automated and we also need to run a script to deprovision most of the built-in Store apps that we become enabled after doing the upgrade.

What would be the process to do a non-destructive upgrade via MDT?

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 10:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• MDT can certainly run an upgrade task sequence that upgrade these Windows 10 1507 LTSB systems to Windows 10 1511 - import the contents of the Windows 10 Enterprise 1511 VL ISO into MDT, create a new client upgrade task sequence, then run it on the LTSB machines.   It will perform an automated in-place upgrade to move from one to the other.

MDT is basically running "setup.exe /auto:upgrade" from the media to automate the process, wrapping it into a task sequence so that you can add additional steps before or after the upgrade, e.g. removing unwanted apps.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    Director of Product Marketing, Windows Deployment, Management, and Store
    http://blogs.technet.com/mniehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 11:28 PM
  • I just tried it and it didn't work as expected.

It did the OS upgrade, rebooted and displayed a white summary screen at the login prompt saying it was successful.

The operating system was upgraded, but it didn't do the rest of the task sequence.  All the extra steps I added under the Post Processing section were not done and it didn't display any error.

It ignored the parts I added to the task sequence to run additional steps I configured as command line tasks and apps to uninstall the built-in apps and import reg keys to set file associations.

The apps and command line steps do work when added to OSD task sequences, but not when added to this upgrade task sequence.

It would have to log back into Windows after the OS upgrade to run the additional steps and it didn't seem like it even made an attempt to log back in.  Even if the administrator password was wrong, I would think it would have tried to login and I could just manually enter the correct password so it could continue.

• Edited by MyGposts Thursday, April 7, 2016 3:59 PM
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 3:50 PM
  • Try adding HideShell=YES in your cs.ini and make sure you are running MDT 2013 update 2.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 7:46 PM
  • Actually HideShell=YES won't help, as that's the forced default for upgrade task sequences.  The remainder of the task sequence not executing is a bug.  To fix it, you need to modify the SetupComplete.cmd file in the Scripts folder of the deployment share.  Towards the top of the file you'll see two lines that look like this:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup" /v SetupType /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup" /v CmdLine /t REG_SZ /d "%%d:\MININT\Scripts\setupcomplete.cmd" /f 

Before or after these lines, add this one:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" /v Win10UpgradeStatusCode /t REG_SZ /d "Success" /f

Then your task sequence should continue as expected after the upgrade completes.  (Without this line, the condition on the post-upgrade steps isn't satisfied, so the group is skipped.)

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 7, 2016 8:54 PM
  • It is already 2013 Update 2.  

I'm trying to just install the apps as part of the task sequence by adding each application as a step within the task sequence since every system would be getting these apps, but it gets ignored/skipped.  Do you have to use the Install Applications wizard page to install the apps there instead or should it work either way?

Thursday, April 7, 2016 8:55 PM
  • Actually HideShell=YES won't help, as that's the forced default for upgrade task sequences.  The remainder of the task sequence not executing is a bug.  To fix it, you need to modify the SetupComplete.cmd file in the Scripts folder of the deployment share.  Towards the top of the file you'll see two lines that look like this:

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup" /v CmdLine /t REG_SZ /d "%%d:\MININT\Scripts\setupcomplete.cmd" /f 

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows" /v Win10UpgradeStatusCode /t REG_SZ /d "Success" /f

Then your task sequence should continue as expected after the upgrade completes.  (Without this line, the condition on the post-upgrade steps isn't satisfied, so the group is skipped.)

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

My setupcomplete.cmd doesn't match that,

This is what's in the file:

@echo off

for %%d in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist %%d:\MININT\Scripts\setupcomplete.cmd ( 
    echo %DATE%-%TIME% Registered Setupcomplete.cmd in registry >> %%d:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS\setupcomplete.log)

for %%d in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist %%d:\MININT\Scripts\LTIBootstrap.vbs (wscript.exe %%d:\MININT\Scripts\LTIBootstrap.vbs ) 

echo %DATE%-%TIME% Successfully upgraded windows, resetting registry >> %WINDIR%\CCM\Logs\setupcomplete.log
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup" /v SetupType /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup" /v CmdLine /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
    for %%d in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist %%d:\MININT\Scripts\setupcomplete.cmd ( 
    echo %DATE%-%TIME% Exiting SetupComplete.cmd >> %%d:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS\setupcomplete.log)

Thursday, April 7, 2016 10:17 PM
  • Sure it does :-)  Just add the additional "reg add" line I mentioned after the second "reg add" command in the file.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 7, 2016 10:39 PM
  • Still didn't work properly after making the changes below.

After editing the file, the summary screen pops up even before the logon screen is available.

@echo off

echo %DATE%-%TIME% Registered Setupcomplete.cmd in registry >> %%d:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS\setupcomplete.log)

for %%d in (c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z) do if exist %%d:\MININT\Scripts\LTIBootstrap.vbs (wscript.exe %%d:\MININT\Scripts\LTIBootstrap.vbs ) 

echo %DATE%-%TIME% Successfully upgraded windows, resetting registry >> %WINDIR%\CCM\Logs\setupcomplete.log
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup" /v SetupType /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup" /v CmdLine /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
    echo %DATE%-%TIME% Exiting SetupComplete.cmd >> %%d:\MININT\SMSOSD\OSDLOGS\setupcomplete.log)

• Edited by MyGposts Friday, April 8, 2016 1:11 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 1:10 AM
  • Look at the filtering for the post install group in your upgrade TS.

Logs are very important. https://keithga.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/video-mdt-2013-log-files-basics-bdd-log-and-smsts-log/ Mention any customizations you have made.

Friday, April 8, 2016 2:13 AM
  • Look at the filtering for the post install group in your upgrade TS.

I don't know what the means.  What would I be looking for to be filtered?
    Friday, April 8, 2016 2:39 AM
  • Open your upgrade task sequence. Select the Post-Processing group. Look at the options. Does what you see look like it would succeed with the extra line Michael suggested?

Friday, April 8, 2016 2:43 AM
  • There is no such group "Post install" in the upgrade task sequence.
    Friday, April 8, 2016 3:28 AM
  • Sorry for my typo. Have you looked in the registry to see if that key exists?

Friday, April 8, 2016 5:20 AM
  • Can't do that since the last attempt failed to complete.

I don't know what I would do to after that whether the key was there or not.

Is there still more problems or bugs in the setupcomplete.cmd file I posted?

Do we still need to do the inject drivers section when upgrading between different versions of Windows 10 since Windows 10 drivers are already in the existing OS?

Friday, April 8, 2016 5:35 AM
  • According to your screenshot above the TS is complete. Did you look at the registry?

Friday, April 8, 2016 5:46 AM
  • The summary screen came up, but you can also see spinning hourglass in the same screenshot.  It is not really complete.

After closing the summary screen, the screen remained black and it kept restarting as if it was still trying to complete, but never completed

Friday, April 8, 2016 5:50 AM
  • If you boot to WinPE you should be able to find logs on the hard drive. \Windows\Panther and \Windows\Temp\DeploymentLogs

Friday, April 8, 2016 5:56 AM
  • I can't tell exactly what I'm looking for.

Making the changes to the file in the scripts folder took the situation from bad to worse.  Now it is completely unusable.

Is there a typo in what I pasted earlier?  If not, the instructions given to work around this bug do not work.

When is this bug going to be fixed so no workaround hacks are required?

• Edited by MyGposts Friday, April 8, 2016 4:42 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 4:39 PM
  • The behavior that you are seeing, with the summary screen over the OS progress screen with the spinning progress, is the intended behavior:  The task sequence completes while the system is still in a "provisioning" mode, and as soon as you click finish on the summary wizard you will see the logon prompt.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Friday, April 8, 2016 4:54 PM
  • It didn't work.  When I closed the screen, no login prompt was shown.  It just went into a reboot loop.

To be able to install the applications I added as part of the client upgrade task sequence, it would have to log back in to the administrator account and run when the rest of the steps in the task sequence.

Before I edited the file, the summary screen was displayed at the login screen and it stopped the task sequence.  None of the additional steps specified were done, but Windows was usable.

After I edited the file, the summary screen was on a blank screen with the spinning progress icon and never completes.  Looks like the OS upgrade doesn't fully complete.

• Edited by MyGposts Friday, April 8, 2016 5:11 PM
    Friday, April 8, 2016 5:08 PM
  • Send me an e-mail at mniehaus@microsoft.com and I'll send you the SetupComplete.cmd file that I've been testing with to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Friday, April 8, 2016 5:12 PM
  • OK thanks. I have sent an email.
    Friday, April 8, 2016 5:21 PM

Thanks,
    -Michael Niehaus
    mniehaus@microsoft.com

Don't know why that reply was marked as an answer when it didn't solve the issue.
    Saturday, April 23, 2016 4:07 PM
  • Isn't that what Michael sent you?

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

Saturday, April 23, 2016 4:13 PM
  • If you have an answer that was different let us know.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

Saturday, April 23, 2016 4:14 PM
  • He said he was going to send another file he was testing.  It was just sent to me Friday night.  So, I will not be able to try it until next week when I am back at work.
    Saturday, April 23, 2016 4:27 PM
  • The new setupcomplete file did not resolve the issue.

The LTSB to 1511 Enterprise upgrade process through MDT does not appear to work.

It now fails after the "Upgrading Windows" goes to 100% and it reboots.

Now it is stuck a black screen withe the HP logo with spinning circles at the bottom and the setupcomplete.cmd windows from c:\minint\scripts showing in the upper left corner with 3 repeating lines saying: "The operation completed successfully."  

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 3:29 PM
  • At this point I would contact support if I were you.

• Marked as answer by MyGposts Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:27 AM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 4:23 PM
  • I'll try that.

I tried upgrading the systems with the same LTSB image using the same 1511 Enterprise iso  and just running setup to do the upgrade manually and it worked fine.

Not sure what the issue is doing the same upgrade via MDT.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:27 AM