Installing Driver for USB Device under Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• In the past I have installed a USB device on several PCs. Under XP, when I plugged in the device the system detected the device, asked for the driver, I navigated to its location, the system installed the driver, and remembered the driver thereafter.

Now I am installing the same device, with a 64-bit driver that is proven to work, on Windows 7 PCs. I'd like to enable all Users of the PC to to plug in the USB device and have the driver for it work thereafter.

- In some installations the driver is "remembered" and installed, and the device works.

- In other installations the driver is not installed but no notice is given, and the device doesn't work.

- Sometimes the driver is installed and the device works for a few days, but then the device stops working.

I suspect that permissions or ownership of the driver files are involved in this matter.

- Do I have to plug in the USB device, go to Device Manager in Control Panel, and install the driver there?

- Will it work if the person who will be the User of the PC has Full Control of the folder containing the driver?

--- Someone has suggested installing the driver in a Library of the User, as User has Full Control.

--- If this works for one User, is there a way to set it up for All Users of the PC?

- Is there a way to install the driver for all Users programmatically with some sort of installer?

Thanks

Sunday, December 25, 2011 5:50 AM

Answers

• You may go to configure the computer policy to Allow Non-Administrators to Install Specific Devices.

Additionally, it is the issue related with Windows 7, in order to get the answer effectively, it is recommended to post a new question in Windows 7 Forum for further discussion in the future.

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Sabrina

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, December 30, 2011 8:44 AM
    Monday, December 26, 2011 7:56 AM