none
Will not open RRS feed

• Question

• I have had a Malware issue and I think I have deleted some app data files,by mistake, now Internet Explorer will not open. I get an error message say IE is not working and windows is trying to find a solution but nothing ever happens. I have tried every fix the forums offer but no sucess as yet. My Skype also has the same issue so I am convinced I have done something silly. Tried to uninstall but cannot find IE in program files.
    Sunday, June 1, 2014 2:05 PM

All replies

• Windows version? IE version? How have you determined that the computer's no longer infected?

Try posting here instead: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Sunday, June 1, 2014 10:06 PM
  • Since you say that you have had a malware issue further complicated by the possible removal of system files, why not just back up and restore your system to a previous time?

Troubleshooting this through a forum may not yield the results that you want. If you have a factory recovery you could return to stock or failing that, utilize restore point to return your system to a time prior to the malware issue.

To open System Restore in Windows 8 simply type Restore Point from the Start screen.

Good luck!

bill

Regards, Bill Moore @BMooreAtDell

• Proposed as answer by billamoore Monday, June 2, 2014 5:04 PM
    Monday, June 2, 2014 5:08 AM
  • Hi Bill

I have previously tried the restore to no avail. Looking at your reply I restored to an earlier time than I had previously tried and IE now works, so thanks for the prompt. 

Many Thanks

John

Monday, June 2, 2014 7:30 AM
  • To open System Restore in Windows 8 simply type Restore Point from the Start screen.

Are you suggesting using System Restore to "undo" the effects of a malware infection or were you thinking of a System Recovery (i.e., a Reset), Bill?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Monday, June 2, 2014 4:50 PM
  • Again, how have you determined that the computer's no longer infected, John?

Monday, June 2, 2014 4:51 PM
  • I would have preferred that latter (reset) as an option. OP says that he can't do that unfortunately. I think I see your point, that malware may still exist - though removing the malware if still present may prove more difficult as a result of the removal of system files. A double edged sword.

The operative words (have had) makes me believe the OP has removed whatever was problematic plus some needed files. I chose to give two options to get him running.

.bill

Regards, Bill Moore @BMooreAtDell

Monday, June 2, 2014 5:08 PM
  • Hi Bill

The malware has been deleted as far as I can tell. I was only using the restore option to get IE and Skype to work. When I shut down earlier an automatic update was done. On rebooting later, back to the old problem of IE and Skype not opening up. So I decided to turn off updates and do another restore, when I shut down an update ran (remember I turned everything off). So undaunted I ran Mr Fix who put right two minor problems but did not fix the main problem. Here is the irony, I had the option of exploring more problems "on line" but could not because Mr Fix wanted to use IE as the search engine!!! This may all be a coincidence and have nothing to do with the updates and is the after effects of the malware. I have now chosen Chrome as the default and hopefully Skype will link to it, may as well turn the updates on as turning them off had no effect.

Monday, June 2, 2014 8:24 PM
  • CrystalBall© sez...

Always state your Internet Explorer version (e.g., IE9; IE10; IE11) as well as your full Windows version (e.g., Vista 32-bit SP2; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7 32-bit SP1; Win7 64-bit SP1; Win8 32-bit; Win8.1 64-bit; Win RT 8.1; Surface Pro; Surface 2) when posting in a forum.  Please do so in your next reply.

Monday, June 2, 2014 10:22 PM