Solitaire games broken by anniversary update RRS feed

• Question

• After the anniversary update, the solitaire games no longer work.  Click on the icon and the screen comes on for a second or two and then disappears.  No messages and no errors in the reliability log.  Same thing for either a local account or an account that logs in with a Microsoft account.

Downloaded an ran the Microsoft store reset digicab.  No success.

Mom is very difficult to live with if she does not have her solitaire fix each day.  Please help.

NKitsap

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 4:52 PM

Answers

• Thank you for the suggestion.  The rest of the update seems to run OK.

Received some advice from a friend.  Simply uninstalled Solitaire and reinstalled from the store.  Right now it works fine.  Had to do this for every account on every machine.  Definitely a PITA.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 9:49 PM

All replies

• I had the exact same problem. The Windows 7/8 Microsoft Games package did not work on the anniversary update, which included Solitaire. 

I followed the instructions here on how to revert back to my previous Windows 10 installation: 

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-downgrade-windows-10-anniversary-update-before-its-too-late-1574488

Solved the problem. Anniversary update also booted up a lot slower and was not as snappy as before. Its too bad since I wanted to try some of the new features, but no Solitaire is a deal breaker for me.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 9:22 PM
  • Thank you for the suggestion.  The rest of the update seems to run OK.

Received some advice from a friend.  Simply uninstalled Solitaire and reinstalled from the store.  Right now it works fine.  Had to do this for every account on every machine.  Definitely a PITA.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 9:49 PM
  • Hi,

Glad that you get your issue resolved.

Please help to mark your post as answer so that other communities who encounter the similar issue and search in your thread, they can find the solution more efficiently.

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Sunday, August 14, 2016 6:16 AM
  • Unfortunately, the games in the Store are AWFUL. I play Minesweeper a lot. The UWS Minesweeper is extremely slow (it appears to be designed for use with touch screens - there's a setting that slows the response to the mouse to at least 250 milliseconds). Add the slow display of a new game; the space taken up by ads; and all the other issues, and it's just not usable.

Why did Anniversary Edition make the Windows 7 games unplayable? I don't mind having to reinstall them (well, actually, I do, but it's hardly the end of the world), but I do mind not being able to play them at all.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 8:51 PM