none
MDT 2013 Windows 8.1 Sysprep & Capture not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have this weird issue whereby i can't sysprep and capture a Windows 8.1 (Korean Language) where after it runs the "Execute Sysprep" stage it reboots but doesn't continue with the Task sequence after the reboot.

THe LTISysprep log shows that there is some "Pending File Rename Operations" and the last entry was "Initiating reboot to clear pending file rename operations".

BDD log shows below after the LTISysprep part. There is not error in entries so i can't tell whats wrong! The image i want to capture is running on a VM and has a 500MB boot partition so i don't think the not enough space issue with boot partition is the cause of it.

Please advise and thanks a bunch!

Friday, July 3, 2015 8:58 AM

Answers

• Hey Jack,

You're on the right track with pending reboots.  I've noticed that sysprep/MDT can have trouble recognizing when pending reboots exist.  It will prep to get the system ready to capture, but pending reboots has it reboot back into the OS breaking the TS.  When I had this issue in the past, I would add a Restart Computer step immediately after application and update installs.  That way pending renames are handled before we get to sysprep and don't have to rely on MDT logic here.  Hope this helps you figure it out.

Ryan 

• Marked as answer by Jack_Tan Thursday, July 9, 2015 9:03 AM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 7:42 PM

All replies

• can you share the complete logs please, probably from one drive?

Mayank Sharma Support Engineer at Microsoft working in Enterprise Platform Support.

Sunday, July 5, 2015 9:21 AM
  • Hi,

Instead of task sequence

1. Integrate DISM in boot image.

2. Sysprep the machine and boot from boot image.

3. Run the DISM command to capture the image.

Regards, Shishir Kushawaha "If this thread answered your question, please click on "Mark as Answer"

Monday, July 6, 2015 10:13 AM
  • Hey Jack,

You're on the right track with pending reboots.  I've noticed that sysprep/MDT can have trouble recognizing when pending reboots exist.  It will prep to get the system ready to capture, but pending reboots has it reboot back into the OS breaking the TS.  When I had this issue in the past, I would add a Restart Computer step immediately after application and update installs.  That way pending renames are handled before we get to sysprep and don't have to rely on MDT logic here.  Hope this helps you figure it out.

Ryan 

• Marked as answer by Jack_Tan Thursday, July 9, 2015 9:03 AM
    Tuesday, July 7, 2015 7:42 PM
  • Good point. If any isn't already rebooting after any installs or updates, this needs to be done before trying to sysprep. Even if the updates don't ask for a reboot do it anyway.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Tuesday, July 7, 2015 8:07 PM
  • Hi Mayank,

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the attempt to help me on the logs. I have looked through the BDD logs with cmtrace and i am pretty sure there is no error whatsoever.

Thanks for the suggestion Mr Books! You're right that i should reboot before the sysprep and capture step. And i thought this is something to do with MDT not handling the renaming properly or something.. never crossed my mind to reboot it! Last action i did was updating Windows update.. and rebooting it before sysprep and capture solves it!!

Thanks alot for the help guys!

Thursday, July 9, 2015 9:07 AM