Anyone else having reboot-loop with KB2677070? RRS feed

• Question

• Two out of four of our Dell Optiplex Windows 7 32-bit pilot WU test machines reboot in a loop when KB2677070 is applied, either through WSUS or via interactive download and install of Windows6.1-KB2677070-x86.msu.

All other updates for June are applied and OK.

Please let me know if you have any questions or solutions.

Thank you,

-Bob

Thursday, June 14, 2012 11:26 PM

Answers

• I have got the same loop on a Windows 2008 Server. Deinstallation of this update in safe mode was the solution in my case.

Cheers

Friday, June 15, 2012 4:25 AM
  • YES, I had this as well and a spend a lot of time to find the root cause and then solve it!

I solved it by going back to the restore point before the updates in safe mode. restore and after the reboot check for updates and hide this update so it won't be reinstalled.

Hope this works for you as well.

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:08 PM

All replies

• I have got the same loop on a Windows 2008 Server. Deinstallation of this update in safe mode was the solution in my case.

Cheers

Friday, June 15, 2012 4:25 AM
  • I also had to delete the folder and files for this update from Windows\SoftwareDistribution\downloads\ as it kept re-installing on the restart.  But once that was gone, it's all good.

MCP

Friday, June 15, 2012 5:18 AM
  • YES, I had this as well and a spend a lot of time to find the root cause and then solve it!

I solved it by going back to the restore point before the updates in safe mode. restore and after the reboot check for updates and hide this update so it won't be reinstalled.

Hope this works for you as well.

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:08 PM
  • I have added a self signed certificate to the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities". (I have my own webserver and to support https traffic i have created a self signed certificate.)

Could that cause the problem? Anyone else using selfsigned certs and having this problem?

Saturday, June 16, 2012 6:50 AM
  • This seems to be a pretty important update so I'm not sure about skipping it completely.

How do the rest of you feel?

I had hoped by now Microsoft would release an  update but still nothing.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Same problem here. Deinstalling the patch solved the issue. Any chance Microsoft comes with a solution soon so the patch can be applied?

Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:15 AM
  • Again, same here.  I tried a lot of things but still give me the loop.  Anyone find a way??? other than to ignore this KB?
    Tuesday, July 31, 2012 11:03 AM
  • Utterly ridiculous.  This caused a 4 major system outage for me, and about 24 man hours total.  I just spent the night installing one patch at a time then rebooting between patches, 23 to get here, to find this.  If I could make MS pay for this in some way I would.
    Friday, September 21, 2012 3:41 AM
  • Deleting the contents of the software distribution folder in the Windows directory worked for me.  You stop the Windows update service, delete the contents of the folder, restart the service, check for updates, and voila, no more looping.
    Monday, October 1, 2012 10:00 PM