none
can user delete files if i lock that account profile RRS feed

• Question

• 1. (a) Just to confirm, can user delete any files in C drive or change any settings permanently if i just lock that account profile?
    (b) Does it depends on which drive the profile is saved at?
    (Given: i haven't hidden the c drive and activated Windows Disk Protection)

2. It is stated that Windows Disk Protection removes changes a user has made to the profile, to the system partition,  and any files or data the user has saved on the shared computer or to another partition or drive.

However it is also stated that If a user profile is locked, Windows Disk Protection restores the profile to  its default configuration regardless of whether the locked profile is saved to the protected system partition or on another drive.

So, will any files or data the user has saved on the shared computer or to another partition or drive, if the user profile is not locked?

• Edited by Raylui Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:17 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 5:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Raylui, thanks for the post. To answer your questions:

1.       (a) No. You can check the list below. (b) If you set the user profile on non-system partition, with “Lock Profile” turned on, those changes in user profile do not keep, either.

Lock Profile

On the General tab, under General Settings, select the Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes check box to remove cache files or system history created by the user when the user logs off from the current session. We recommend that you limit the permanent changes made by users on a shared computer by locking the user profile.

There are important distinctions between locked user profiles and Windows Disk Protection. Table 5 shows some of the similarities and differences between locked profiles and Windows Disk Protection.

Table 5: Comparison of Locked Profile and Windows Disk Protection

Feature

Similarities

Differences

When applied

Locked Profile

Removes changes user has made to the user profile. Cache files, global history, and environment settings are cleared or restored to the default state.

User profile is restored to the default state configured by administrator.

At log off of user account.

Windows Disk Protection

Removes changes a user has made to the profile, to the system partition, and any files or data the user has saved on the shared computer or to another partition or drive.

If Remove all changes at restart option is selected, restores the entire system partition to the original state configured by the administrator.

At restart of shared computer.

2.       Yes, those files, data or settings will be kept if you do not turn on WDP and Lock Profile function.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Sean Zhu -Moderator Wednesday, August 19, 2009 6:36 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Raylui Friday, August 21, 2009 2:12 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 4:11 AM
  • well, but why the files that the user has saved in his "my document" folder, still remain after restart.

the user profile is saved in d drive, the user can access d drive

the situation is my uncle and my cousin share the same computer. my cousin always chat with her friends using MSN messenger but always download virus-containing files or press links that bring virus to the computer. So, my uncle try to use this software.

he cannot open WDP because he needs to save files into the computer.
    he tries to restrict my cousin's profile, but my cousin complains that she always need to edit and make changes to her homework, but those repeated read and write processes do hurt her pen drive; however she can't move the files, at least temporarily, to the computer, so that after she finishes editing, she can put the files back to the pen drive.

my uncle wants to ask can my cousin save the files temporarily on desktop/ my document, where those files and changes will be removed and discarded after the computer restarts.
    Friday, August 21, 2009 2:12 PM