Comparing master project keeping the link beetween sub projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is it possible to compare 2 master projects by not breaking the links of the sub projects ?

Thanks,

Poulet4500

Monday, May 4, 2020 2:28 PM

Answers

• Poulet4500,

Well, "dangerous" is a strong word. Linked structures do work but because of their limitations it requires a lot of discipline to insure the probability of corruption is minimized.

The default for creating a master file is a dynamic master but if the user doesn't really need the dynamic links, then a much more reliable and safer approach is to create a static master when a user need to see all files at once. A static master is created by un-checking the "link to project" option in the Insert Project window. The static master will be a snapshot in time of all the subprojects inserted into it.

If I answered your question, please consider marking my response as the answer.

John

• Marked as answer by Poulet4500 Wednesday, May 6, 2020 7:42 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2020 2:53 PM

All replies

• Poulet4500,

Okay, well that begs a whole lot more questions.

1. Are the two master projects genetically related (i.e was one created from the other)?

2. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

3. What exactly do you mean by "compare" (i.e. what do you want to compare)?

There will be more questions to come after those.

John
    Monday, May 4, 2020 3:48 PM
  • Thanks for your feedback :)

1. Yes, I create 1 master, project, I save it (named MP 1). Then, I open this master project, I make some changes on it and save it (MP 2).

2. I want to compare the changes of somes fields beetween the MP1 and MP2

3. I mean using the button "compare projects" on the "project" tab.

Poulet4500

Monday, May 4, 2020 7:00 PM
  • Poulet4500,

Okay, bad idea. Linked structures (e.g. Master/subprojects) in Project are fragile and prone to corruption. None of the files in the structure should ever be RENAMED, moved, written over or "saved off" to a different location. Ideally, all files should reside in a single directory on a local drive and not be operated over a network.

I can guarantee the process you are using (item 1) is creating a complex link structure that if not already corrupt will get there very soon.

Given that, the answer to your original question is "no". Your only reliable approach is to first un-link all subprojects to create a static master, save that as MP1. Then make your changes to that file and save it as MP2.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, May 4, 2020 8:39 PM
  • Ok if I understand correctly, according to you, it's dangerous to link subprojects between them in a master project. So it's better to just add them in the master project but without the link ?

I actually did what you say in the last paragraph and it works. 

Thanks for your help.

Poulet4500

Tuesday, May 5, 2020 9:25 AM
  • Poulet4500,

Well, "dangerous" is a strong word. Linked structures do work but because of their limitations it requires a lot of discipline to insure the probability of corruption is minimized.

The default for creating a master file is a dynamic master but if the user doesn't really need the dynamic links, then a much more reliable and safer approach is to create a static master when a user need to see all files at once. A static master is created by un-checking the "link to project" option in the Insert Project window. The static master will be a snapshot in time of all the subprojects inserted into it.

If I answered your question, please consider marking my response as the answer.

John

• Marked as answer by Poulet4500 Wednesday, May 6, 2020 7:42 PM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2020 2:53 PM