locked
Sharepoint Alerts not working RRS feed

  • Question

  • We have MOSS 2007 site  deployed on a  multiserver Farm with alerts being enabled.Till some time back the users used to receive the alert mails i.e when a new user is being added or when workflow alerts are triggered.But recently the alert mails stopped generating.

    P.S :- We had a Content DB restore for the application a couple of  weeks back

    We have already verified the following :-

    1) Outbound email configuration is correct (WE created a new sitecollection/webapplication and configured alerts for it and those alerts  mails are working fine)

    2) Verified that the Timer jobs are running successfully and alerts are enabled for the site.

    3) There is no error in the Logs

    4) Ran the Stsadm - o updatealerttemplates command  for the concerned application.

    5) Verified the 'Timerlock' table :- The server used the both the applications (one on which the alerts are working and the other on which they are not) is the same say server a.

    It seems like all the alert emails have stopped working for this particular webapplication.

    Any suggestion/clue will be much appreciated.

    Thanks and Regards,

    KG1983

     

    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:00 PM

All replies

  • Hello KG1983,

    Seems like you are quite clever at debugging, I am surprised you are still having issues with the alerts considering the mail settings are correct.

    There is a MSDN page here about configuring alerts at the web app level: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287751.aspx

    Also to fully debug and see what is happening I would recommend you attach WinDBG, here is a good guide: http://blog.thekid.me.uk/archive/2007/07/25/debugging-tips-for-sharepoint-and-wss-exceptions.aspx

    Hope this helps!


    Allan Merolla | BEng, MPM, JD | MCP, MCTS, MCPD | SharePoint/SQLBI/.NET | My Blog at http://www.parallelfun.com/
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 1:36 AM
  • Hi Alan,

     

    Thanks for your reply.

    I verified that  the alerts are configured at the webapplication level as well.

    Also I tried to debug the issue using Visual Studio.

    One strange thing I noticed  :-

    I created a console app and  tried two different code one using :-

    1) SmtpClient client = new SmtpClient(smtpServer);

    and other using

    2) SPUtility.SendEmail(web, true, true,"Test@Testmail.com","Subject","This is a sample email Body");

     

    The server being used for both the cases is same.

    However the first one was able to send the mail but the second one didn't.(Though even the second one showed the mail send method as success).

    The SPUtility.SendEmail being the default Sharepoint method utilizes the configuration in the Central admin for Outbound mail.

     

    Any clue as to what could be the issue?

     

    Regards,

    KG1983

     

     

     

              


    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:35 PM
  • Hi,

    Do you get any error when you try to send any alerts from this web application.?

    I suggest you to turn on verbose mode and then check the uls logs after replicating the issue.

    Try this from all WFEs to check if this issue is with any specific WFE or not.

     

    I hope this will help you out.


    Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:14 PM
  • Hi Rahul,

    The verbose logging is already enabled and there are no errors for the email . Moreover i didn't get any error while sending the mail.

     

    I have already verified that this issue is not specific to  WFE(as another application  on the same WFE is able to send emails )

     

    Regards,

    KG1983

     

    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 7:21 PM
  • Hi Guys, I finally made some headway for this :-

    I deleted all the alerts and cleared all the entries in 'ImmedSubscription' table in the content DB. The mails have started going out but I am facing another issue:-

    Users in the domain are not recieving the Task assignment mail i.e the users marked in the "To" section of the workflow.

    However,if the same user's name is put into the CC column,the mail is triggered.

    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:50 PM