E-mail addresses and aliases gone RRS feed

• Question

• Posting here to find out if anybody else had a similiar experience and also getting some idea on where to start with this.

At one of our sites, which is a domain part of a Forest, we had our e-mail address and e-mail aliases disapear from only selected people. Only way to fix this was to re-add the e-mail addresses and alias manually but the mailboxes where still in tact.

I suspect it was with the forest upgrade to 2008 but it does not make sense only a few users in the subdomain is being effected in the above described way. Throughout the forest we using Exchange 2007 and the administrator of the root forest says he can see the e-mail addresses and aliases but from our domain we could not.

If my understanding is correct this could not have been the case of a forest upgrade to 2008 as then all of the user accounts should be effected? Furthermore is there any other tools besides repadmin, dcdiag, windows event log one can troubleshoot these type of isses?

Friday, February 10, 2012 7:41 AM

Answers

All replies

• Was there anything in common with these users, by any chance? For example, did they have any security entries applied to their accounts that in turn related to the Exchange default role-based groups?

I can't put my finger on why, but it feels like a permissions issues perhaps involving the Organization Management / Exchange Organization Administrators side of things, and possibly the time taken to replicate the schema changes.

Sorry that I'm only speculating, but I haven't seen this issue before myself. You might also like to try asking in the Exchange forum.

Cheers,
    Lain

Friday, February 10, 2012 8:16 AM
  • Thanks for the reply - is there any way to see historical information on replication and in specific schema changes? repadmin is great but does not seem to really catter for historical information.
    Friday, February 10, 2012 8:36 AM
  • Not really, no. The schema updates go generate their own logs, but I don't think those are going to be worth investigating, as this isn't going to relate to the schema changes, per se.

There's is also a log for the forest and domain preparation, but for the life of me I can't remember where it's saved off the top of my head. Perhaps %windir%\temp at a guess.

Cheers,
    Lain

Friday, February 10, 2012 8:55 AM
  • Hello,

the log files are stored in %Systemroot%\system32\debug\adprep\ogs directory

Personal i did not see any missing entires when migrating/upgrading systems where Exchange is installed.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, February 10, 2012 9:12 AM
  • If you still have any of the users with missing email, you can use repadmin /showobjmeta to identify the domain controller where the change to proxyAddresses attribute originated. Check the time of the update - and see if you can find something that corresponds to that change in the logs

hth
    Marcin

Friday, February 10, 2012 12:42 PM
  • Thanks - had a look and that path is not included on any of the DCs. The forest upgrade was done by the Headquarters administrators so we do not have any administrative access to it. Aside that I am still going through logs but aside the normal warnings I cannot see anything else.
    Friday, February 10, 2012 12:50 PM
  • Thanks - had a look and that path is not included on any of the DCs. The forest upgrade was done by the Headquarters administrators so we do not have any administrative access to it. Aside that I am still going through logs but aside the normal warnings I cannot see anything else.
    Friday, February 10, 2012 12:50 PM

Hello,

then you mostly will find the log on the root DCs where the admins run the adprep command. The logs are only on the DC where the update is run as all changes are replicated to the other DCs as if you create new objects in AD.

Maybe you should check the DCs in the site the users belong to if replication is working correct. Was there a kind of crash or someone had deleted some objects accidently somewhere in the time so they where restored but not complete?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:24 PM
  • Hello,

then you mostly will find the log on the root DCs where the admins run the adprep command. The logs are only on the DC where the update is run as all changes are replicated to the other DCs as if you create new objects in AD.

Maybe you should check the DCs in the site the users belong to if replication is working correct. Was there a kind of crash or someone had deleted some objects accidently somewhere in the time so they where restored but not complete?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:24 PM
  • I don’t believe this issue is related to ADPREP or upgrade. 

>>> aliases disapear from only selected people. 

What do you mean by select people?  Are they in a single OU or part of same group?

Do they have mailbox or just mail enabled users?

Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+| Houston, TX
    Blogs - http://blogs.sivarajan.com/

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn SS Tech Forum

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties,and confers no rights.

Friday, February 10, 2012 7:19 PM
  • we had our e-mail address and e-mail aliases disapear

Just to be clear, the addresses you're speaking of, are they actual default addresses generated by your email address policy, or were they manually added in addition to the generated addresses? If manually created, then they are proxyaddresses and may conflict with the email address policies?

Did you run what Marcin suggested to find the originating DC for the proxyAddress attribute? If you did, maybe I missed your reply?

Are you seeing any Event ID 9514 on the Exchange servers? If so:

Removing duplicate and unwanted proxy addresses in Exchange
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318774

Also, if this is occuring in a domain where Exchange is not installed, have you run the Exchange domainprep? You can re-run this to straighten out anything if there are any issues, not saying it will straighten this out, depending on this issue's cause.

Since this is appearing more to be an Exchange configuration issue, as Lain and others have suggested, I think it's prudent in posting it in the Exchange forum. 
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/exchangeserver/

Ace

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007 & Exchange 2010, Exchange 2010 Enterprise Administrator, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Complete List of Technical Blogs: http://www.delawarecountycomputerconsulting.com/technicalblogs.php

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

FaceBook Twitter LinkedIn

Friday, February 10, 2012 11:16 PM
  • Hi

I dont think preparing the forest by running adprep will have such impact.

This may happens if we have imported users using ldifde or csvde and that file does not have UPN or some other attribute as in your case then users might get created without email address or any other attribute.

Did any admins or you  did an export to ldifde and then re-import or any migration is going on?

Best Regards,

Sandesh Dubey.

MCSE|MCSA:Messaging|MCTS|MCITP:Enterprise Adminitrator | My Blog

Saturday, February 11, 2012 4:05 AM
  •  

Hi,

According to the problem description, this issue is related to Exchange Server. For Exchange Server issue, the best resource is Exchange Server forum.

Based on the current situation, you’d better submit a new question to Exchange Server forum for further assistance. In this way, your issue can be resolved effectively.

Exchange Server

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/exchangeserver

Thanks for your understanding!

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 13, 2012 8:12 AM
  •  

Hi,

I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Arthur Li

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

Arthur Li

TechNet Community Support

Friday, February 17, 2012 6:26 AM