WinPE Boot WIm Network Driver Issues, RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I’m in the need for some help. My company uses mostly Dells for our environment ranging from old OptiPlex 260’s and up, using MDT 2012 update 1 for about 10,000 machines. It’s been working well with a few issues from time to time but we have started having one big issue. Within the last week we got a shipment of new Dell machines (OptiPlex’s 3010, 7010’s and 9010’s.) to replace our older Dell models for our POSReady 7 project we are in the middle of.

Here’s the problem; I’ve added the drivers to the Out-Of-Box selection like I normally do that has worked just fine. We use Johan Arwidmark method and use Driver Model DriverGroup’s in each of our 15 or so Tasks (Windows 7 x86\%Model%).

After I injected the drivers into the deployment share, I updated the share to rebuild the Boot WIM’s with the new drivers. Now most of our older Desktops receive an error upon boot up from the Boot WIM: “A connection to the deployment share could not be made. The following device did not have a driver installed. PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_167A&SUBSYS_01DA1028&REV_02.”  This only happens on older Dell models (OptiPlex 745, 620’s and even older Laptops D620’s and D630’s.) I’m not sure what the issue is but I’m thinking that the newer models use a newer network driver that is overwriting the old machines’ network drivers or they’re not compatible. I know it’s something with the newer models WinPe network drivers as I have a backup of the Boot WIM without the newer drivers injected into the WIM that works fine but the backup does not work with the newer models.

Has anyone seen this issue before and could offer me any assistance?

Saturday, October 19, 2013 2:09 PM

Answers

• When WinPE boots up it runs the wpeinit.exe tool to initialize some critical components like installing the network drivers. Check the x:\windows\system32\wpeinit.log file to verify *which* driver was actually loaded.

You might then be able to do some tweaking, perhaps giving the older (working) driver a higher pnp ranking. <yuck>.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Sunday, October 20, 2013 2:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by DGarmon Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:42 PM
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 2:32 AM

All replies

• When WinPE boots up it runs the wpeinit.exe tool to initialize some critical components like installing the network drivers. Check the x:\windows\system32\wpeinit.log file to verify *which* driver was actually loaded.

You might then be able to do some tweaking, perhaps giving the older (working) driver a higher pnp ranking. <yuck>.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Sunday, October 20, 2013 2:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by DGarmon Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:42 PM
    Sunday, October 20, 2013 2:32 AM
  • Just wanted to say thanks. I was able to find which driver was installing looking at the wpeini file. I was able to load the older driver and it seems to work with the newer models so I'm good now.

Thanks again,

Derek

Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:42 PM