How to close an open file RRS feed

• Question

• In all previous versions of windows server ive been able to manage sessions and open files by using the share and storage management console. with windows 2012 this is no longer possible, we have to use the server manager. but I can't find any way to view a list of currently open files and close them like I could do in previous versions of the server.

ideas anyone???

Monday, September 10, 2012 5:49 PM

Answers

• Or you can do it the same as Pre-Server 2012.

• Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Milkientia Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:55 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:12 AM
  • I'm not sure about the GUI, but you can use PowerShell.

To see a list of relevant cmdlets:

Get-Command –Module Smbshare -Name *file*, *session*, *share*

Here is a sample:

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

• Edited by Mike Crowley Monday, September 10, 2012 7:09 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Monday, September 10, 2012 7:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Milkientia Monday, September 10, 2012 8:36 PM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 7:07 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure about the GUI, but you can use PowerShell.

To see a list of relevant cmdlets:

Get-Command –Module Smbshare -Name *file*, *session*, *share*

Here is a sample:

Mike Crowley | MVP
    My Blog -- Planet Technologies

• Edited by Mike Crowley Monday, September 10, 2012 7:09 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Monday, September 10, 2012 7:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Milkientia Monday, September 10, 2012 8:36 PM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 7:07 PM
  • something I do so rarely id probably never remember the command but that will have to do. Im a bit disappointed MS make such changes like this for admins (I don't like the new server manager, seems less functional and less clear), admins have enough to do as it is without taking tools away and changing how everything looks.

sorry, bit of a rant, but not at you. thank you very much for the answer you provided :)

Monday, September 10, 2012 8:39 PM
  • Actually, this Server Manager allows you to easily customize the Tools menu.  That means you could create a menu item called something like "Rarely Used but Quite Useful", and stuff all sorts of little things like this in there.  The more I have worked with Server Manager, the more I am liking it.  I find it much more flexible and powerful than anything Microsoft has done before.  Combine that with the power of PowerShell 3.0, and you have a really great combination.  (Yeah, this could be done with 2008, too, but PS 3.0 adds power).

Here's a picture of my Tools menu.  I combined a bunch of related tools into folders so I don't have such a long list of tools.  And, as you see, I have added a category to contain my own scripts.

tim

Monday, September 10, 2012 10:46 PM
  • Or you can do it the same as Pre-Server 2012.

• Proposed as answer by Mike Crowley Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:20 AM
    • Marked as answer by Milkientia Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:55 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 2:12 AM
  • Hi Tim,

How you customized your tools menu in Server Manager ?

Regards, Nayan

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 8:07 AM
  • haha, what a whally brain I am. I totally forgot about computer management. interesting to learn a bit more PowerShell so that post wasn't wasted.

And I also would like to know how to customise that tools menu, useful trick you found there Tim.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:55 AM
  • Not new in 2012.  Was possible in 2008, too.  Administrative tools is nothing more than a directory with a series of shortcuts.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools

If you want to organize them, create directories and move the shortcuts into the directories.  The directories become dropdown menus on the Tools menu.

tim

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Ya know, ive been working with windows server since 2000 and I have never ever even realised or even thought about organising those folders any further than the default - yet I have always noticed terminal services being in a folder of its own. isn't it funny how you become oblivious to something until someone points it out. just goes to show we just keep learning new tricks, thanks its helped me structure things a little better and make a better list
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:03 PM