none
Problems installing Microsoft Calculator appxbundle using SCCM RRS feed

• Question

• We have been wrestling with this problem on and off for some time now. The vendor that created our WIM for OSD deployment removed some apps like calculator, sticky notes, image viewer, etc. I have no idea why that was done, but I was the only person concerned about it so I was overridden. Now it's come up that a lot of users would like calculator and sticky notes installed on their computers. I was able to get sticky notes to install through SCCM just fine using an appxbundle package, but not so lucky with calculator.

I have tried a variety of different things to get this to work. Currently, the install will run and show installed in software center even though it won't show up anywhere as installed. I believe there is a problem with the prerequisite (Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 UWP Runtime Package x64) not installing. The prereq says it's installed as well, but it's really not. When you run the appx bundle manually, the prereq will install and then calculator will install, for real this time. Once done this way you can use software center to install calculator on any other user that logs in. That's why I believe it's the prereq that is not actually installing. 

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 UWP Runtime Package x64 is a dependency on the calculator application. I have looked through different log files and have seen nothing of value. Perhaps I'm looking in all the wrong places. Anyone else have this problem or have any ideas what I can try next? Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 10:32 PM

All replies

• First, just to confirm, what version of ConfigMgr are you running? Thjs is a 2012 forum and 2012 does not support Win 10.

Next, why not just create a new image using a tool like OSDBuilder or WIMWitch?

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by Vijayasekhar Naidu Thursday, November 21, 2019 3:51 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by JB7980 Thursday, November 21, 2019 4:12 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 1:01 AM
  • We are currently on 1702, guess that would be a little past 2012. Sorry, selected wrong forum option. We have a SCCM upgrade scheduled to bring us up to date in a few weeks so I'm looking forward to getting that done finally. Another thing to note, I've only been working with SCCM for a little over a year so I'm still pretty new to it.

Thanks for the tool suggestions, but my workplace wants to have someone outside the company build the WIM for the time being. The WIM has been updated to keep those apps in it, but there are several hundred PC's out there now without those apps installed. I work in a hospital so many of the devices that need the calculator app are used 24x7. Having a working calculator app install would be the most efficient option.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 4:12 PM
  • Your best bet may be asking about this in a Windows forum. To my knowledge, I thought that it wasn't possible to re-add a removed, built-in store app -- I could be wrong though.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Thursday, November 21, 2019 6:46 PM
  • I believe you are correct on that you cannot re-add an app. The company we got them WIM from had to use an early version of the WIM and this time not remove it. You can install some apps like sticky notes and calculator using SCCM though. I had no problem with Sticky Notes, but calculator just won't install properly through SCCM. You can run the appxbundle manually and it will successfully install.

Jeremy SCCM Noob

Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:03 PM
  • Hi,

So Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 UWP Runtime Package x64 as a dependency is not installed, right? Which log files have you tried to check? I am not sure which log file will log the relevant clues, But I think the experts of the Windows 10 Forum are very familiar with this.
     So I suggest you try to submit a question in the Windows 10 forum:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=win10itprogeneral

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 22, 2019 8:43 AM