Login failed for user '' error RRS feed

• Question

• We have a Sharepoint 2007 website that connects to a SQL Server 2008 database.  Everything worked fine until yesterday.  When I tried accessing the website from my browser I got the following error message: "Exception Details: Microsoft.SharePoint.WebPartPages.WebPartPageUserException: Cannot connect to the configuration database."

Since then I:

- verified that the sql server database is running

- I am able to ping the db server from the web server

When I looked in the web server error log file I see the following error message:

Login failed for user ''. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection.    

So it looks like the username is blank.

Any help will be greatly appreciated since our Sharepoint admin guy left recently and we don't have anybody else experienced in Sharepoint Administration.

thanks

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:45 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Bbatl,

May be your previous SharePoint admin installed this SharePoint instance with this own account or with his ad account instead of using a service account. You can quickly ask your AD team to activate his account for some short duration and check if things are working.

Let me know if this is the case.

Thanks

Regards, Nikhil Sharma Dharanipragada
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 5:11 PM
  • Hi,

This issue may be caused by lots of reasons, first please check if SQL server has been configured to operate in “Windows Authentication” and doesn’t allow the use of SQL accounts. If so, change the Authentication Mode from “Windows Authentication” to “Mixed Mode”.

Also the issue may be occurred if the user logging in is a domain account from a different, untrusted domain from the SQL Server’s domain. Here is an article introduced most of the other reasons about the issue, please refer to it for more information: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sql_protocols/archive/2008/05/03/understanding-the-error-message-login-failed-for-user-the-user-is-not-associated-with-a-trusted-sql-server-connection.aspx .

Thanks.

Emir Liu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:37 AM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 7:20 AM