Re-routing clients to a different Management point RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We're having a request to re-direct the clients from a specific site 'A', to a different management point. Basically the secondary site server at Site A has gone down. However newly built machines at the site are initially contacting the Primary Site Server Management Point and thereby are re-directed to the currently down Site A's management point. And thereby do not receive any softwares. 

Question here: How does this routing take place and where is it defined? Is it automatically based on the AD Sites and Services information? Or do we specify this somewhere in SMS Configuration? I'm sure this is not to do with boundaries, but I stand for correction.

See below snippet detailing the behaviour I have explained on a newly built client end point which is attempting to contact it's respective site A's MP:

Now the requirement is to route all these requests from MP at Site A to a different Management Point.

Question again: I am still trying to identify to which MP the requests needs to be routed to. Is there something in SCCM which can help me make an informed decision on this? Or is this something that the Network team needs to advise on?

And finally once we're able to identify the alternate MP to re-direct requests to, I'm trying to identify the correct way to make the re-direction change. I am planning to provide a script to re-install the SCCM client on the newly built machines that are failing application install. 

i.e. we basically place the Client setup files in a shared folder that is accessible on the affected network and then have them re-install the client by specifying the aternative management point as a command line parameter, so that hence forth the 

CCMSetup.exe /mp:ALTMP01 /logon SMSSITECODE=ABC FSP=SCCMFSP01 

Last question: So once we identify the appropriate MP, is there a better way to make the routing change that the procedure explained above? If not, since I believe this is not controlled by boundaries or boundary groups, which is the configuration component in SCCM that I need to modify for this purpose? 

Many thanks in advance for all your assistance.

SamSV

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 3:43 PM

Answers

• You can turn off publishing for the MP specifically in Administration -> Sites -> DamagedSecondary: Configure Site Components -> Management Point and you can turn off publishing completely for the secondary site in question in Administration -> AD Forests -> YourAD: Properties -> Publishing.

ConfigMgr 2012 should remove AD entries on its own when you turn off publishing (not sure about DNS), but since the secondary site is down,  double check that and remove manually if needed. Check the relevant entries in System Management in AD and Forward Lookup Zones -> yourdomain -> _tcp -> _mssms_mp_yoursitecode in DNS.

Clients always need and know how to reach the primary MP since some actions cannot be done with the proxy MP. I believe turning off publishing and entries being removed should be enough but check once you make the changes above (not instantaneous obviously).
    • Marked as answer by SamSV Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:47 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:28 PM

All replies

• As you can see in the log, it is identifying the MP on the secondary site as the proxy management point to use and will attempt to use that. If the secondary site MP is being published to AD/DNS, the clients will be able to locate it and use it.

Clients find MPs:

- From another MP
    - From AD
    - From DNS

You did not specify which version exactly of ConfigMgr 2012 you are running but beginning with 2012 SP2/2012 R2 SP1, you can indeed control the preferred MP by boundary groups.

So either try to turn off publishing for the damaged secondary site MP (AD & DNS), or (if your version allows it) enable preferred management point from the hierarchy settings and specify the desired MPs in the boundary group(s) that correspond to clients in that site.

As to which MP to send clients to, you can direct them to the primary site MP for the time being since they are able to reach it properly it seems.

You do not need to reinstall the client and /mp property will not help you with your goal here, it only directs ccmsetup to query that specified MP to find a proper DP.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 5:49 PM
  • Thank You very much for the reply Emmanuel. 

<<try to turn off publishing for the damaged secondary site MP>>

Can you please provide me some leads on how to achieve the above? Had never done it before.

SamSV

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 7:44 PM
  • Also..

<<As to which MP to send clients to, you can direct them to the primary site MP for the time being since they are able to reach it properly it seems.>>

In order to achieve the above, do I just need to stop publishing the damaged secondary site's MP to the AD & DNS? And also does it need any additional setting like the Primary Site configured as a Fall back?

SamSV

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:00 PM
  • You can turn off publishing for the MP specifically in Administration -> Sites -> DamagedSecondary: Configure Site Components -> Management Point and you can turn off publishing completely for the secondary site in question in Administration -> AD Forests -> YourAD: Properties -> Publishing.

ConfigMgr 2012 should remove AD entries on its own when you turn off publishing (not sure about DNS), but since the secondary site is down,  double check that and remove manually if needed. Check the relevant entries in System Management in AD and Forward Lookup Zones -> yourdomain -> _tcp -> _mssms_mp_yoursitecode in DNS.

Clients always need and know how to reach the primary MP since some actions cannot be done with the proxy MP. I believe turning off publishing and entries being removed should be enough but check once you make the changes above (not instantaneous obviously).
    • Marked as answer by SamSV Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:47 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:28 PM
  • Will do.. Thank You very much

SamSV

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:47 PM
  • Just an additional point on the last one..

The turning off publish would only take care of the MP function correct? Since the Secondary Site Server is down, we would obviously have to provide another DP (Distribution Point) for the pkg content requests. And I'm guessing that I need to move the boundary groups currently assigned to the down site 'A' to a different working site. Is there anything else that would be required?

SamSV

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 8:57 PM
  • Yes, clients do not locate DPs via publishing but via site system serves defined in boundary groups (or fallback if allowed) so update the corresponding boundary group(s) to include an accessible DP(s).

For the second part of the question, if you are currently using the secondary site in the site assignment in the boundary group, switch it the primary site for now where the damaged secondary site is under until the secondary site is recovered. Make sure the primary site server can reach the clients and has a proper client push account defined so it can push the client if needed.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 9:14 PM
  • Clients use secondary sites and really the roles within them, based upon content location boundary groups: http://blog.configmgrftw.com/secondary-sites-and-boundary-groups/

This is unchanged in CB.

To change a client from using a secondary site to roles in the primary site, you need to adjust your content location boundary groups. This won't be an instant change though and will take up to 25 hours for clients to adjust -- unless you force them by restarting them or effecting a network change on them.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Edited by Jason Sandys [MSFT]MVP Wednesday, December 14, 2016 2:49 AM Deleted imis-stated/inccorrect first paragraph.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2016 1:50 AM