none
Predecessors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I will tell my problem with an example;

Consider there is an A job and a B job. The A job for example starts 21.12.2016 and will finish 26.12.2016 and I need B job start one day after start day of A job. Up to this point there is no problem but I also need B job has to finish 5 days after A job finish. At this point when I made two predecessors in ms project 2010, it gave error. My question; is it possible to do as below? 

No Title Start  Finish Predecessors
    1 A 21.12.2016  26.12.2016  
    2 B     1SS+1;1FF+5

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:19 AM

Answers

• That's correct.  I saved the project as xml, added the second relationship by directly editing the xml file in Visual Studio, then re-imported the edited xml into Project.  Once in Project, I could manipulate the relationship types and lag values without any ill effects. This process may be useful in a pinch, but as I said in the blog, it's not useful for regular work flow.  (Those planners who use these types of concurrent relationships tend to use a lot of them, and editing a Project xml file is not exactly an intuitive process).

For the time being, implementing ladder logic in Project still requires the use of multiple dummy milestones.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 5:54 PM
  • Hi,

Indeed, this is too many information for Project, and this is not how Project works. It means that you need the duration of B to be conditionnal based on A finish date, which is not possible. That's why PRoject doesn't allows linking a predecessor twice to a the same successor.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Indeed, this is too many information for Project, and this is not how Project works. It means that you need the duration of B to be conditionnal based on A finish date, which is not possible. That's why PRoject doesn't allows linking a predecessor twice to a the same successor.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:33 AM
  • Thank you very much. So I will do it manually there is no other way =)
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 11:35 AM
  • I might quibble with the suggestion that the proposed parallel links lead to "you need the duration of B to be conditional based on A finish date, which is not possible."  Such parallel links are routinely used in other tools to govern large-scale parallel/concurrent activities. (e.g. "dig trench", "lay pipe", "test pipe", "backfill trench"). They are necessary if one wishes to avoid micro-scheduling.

As shown here, parallel ("ladder logic") links are not impossible in MS Project; you just can't insert them using the program. 

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:26 PM
  • Interesting Tom!

If I understand well, the way to have 2 relationships on the same predecessor is to go through an XML file?

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:37 PM
  • That's correct.  I saved the project as xml, added the second relationship by directly editing the xml file in Visual Studio, then re-imported the edited xml into Project.  Once in Project, I could manipulate the relationship types and lag values without any ill effects. This process may be useful in a pinch, but as I said in the blog, it's not useful for regular work flow.  (Those planners who use these types of concurrent relationships tend to use a lot of them, and editing a Project xml file is not exactly an intuitive process).

For the time being, implementing ladder logic in Project still requires the use of multiple dummy milestones.

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 5:54 PM