none
AppLocker Error 8009 - srpapi.dll: AppLocker component not available on this SKU. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

After upgrading to Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) from Windows 7 Ultimate I've been seeing numerous warnings in the Event Viewer about AppLocker which I thought wasn't brought over to Windows 10 by Microsoft.  This is the error I'm seeing:

Error 8009: srpapi.dll: AppLocker component not available on this SKU.

Obviously the dll is probably not there because the software is not there.  So, I'm guessing the update didn't clean the registry like it should have and maybe it's periodically trying to run a related program or service.  I never used AppLocker under Windows 7 so it can't be from something I created (knowingly).

I ran sfc /scannow but it found nothing.  I looked in the registry and there are many AppLocker references in there, which was kind of surprising.

I need help with some ideas on how to troubleshoot this.  I am on an Alienware Area 51 ALX.
    Sunday, August 9, 2015 7:09 AM

Answers

• Yeah, I was afraid of that.  I've seen other odd things in the Event Viewer, too, that is telling me the upgrade process didn't go 100%.  That's going to be a lot of work falling back to "Fresh" but it'll be worth it over the long haul because I think I'm going to keep finding more issues.  The only concern I have is if I do a fresh install, I'm guessing I lose the ability to go back to Windows 7 (in the 30-day window) unless I have a system image from back then?

If you have a full system image backup, with the boot disc, or, instead you have the original recovery media/discs, that should be enough for a total rollback. (very time consuming to do it, and then download 6 years of updates :(

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Proposed as answer by Roger LuModerator Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by frank479 Sunday, August 23, 2015 12:34 AM
    Monday, August 17, 2015 8:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Firstly, you can follow the path below to check if there is  any applocker policy enabled.

Open Group Policy, then:

Expand Computer Configuration – Policies – Windows Settings – Security Settings – Application Control Policies – AppLocker 

Besides this, open local Service to check the Application identify status:

Open Run, type services.msc, Press Enter.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 11, 2015 2:47 AM
  • Hello.

Thanks for responding.  There were no rules set for Executable, Windows Installer, Script or Packaged app.  I checked to see if the Application Identity Service was running and it wasn't, although it was set for Manual (Triggered Start).

Sunday, August 16, 2015 12:48 AM
  • ....about AppLocker which I thought wasn't brought over to Windows 10 by Microsoft.  

AppLocker continues to be available in Windows10, but only for Enterprise/Education SKUs:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/Compare

It looks like your previous Win7Ultimate (which offered AppLocker), when upgraded to Win10Pro by setup, didn't handle this very cleanly.

If you've successfully activated your upgrade to Win10 on this hardware, you *should* be able to clean-install without any activation issues, in case that's something you wanted to try out.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, August 16, 2015 2:14 AM
  • Yeah, I was afraid of that.  I've seen other odd things in the Event Viewer, too, that is telling me the upgrade process didn't go 100%.  That's going to be a lot of work falling back to "Fresh" but it'll be worth it over the long haul because I think I'm going to keep finding more issues.  The only concern I have is if I do a fresh install, I'm guessing I lose the ability to go back to Windows 7 (in the 30-day window) unless I have a system image from back then?
    Sunday, August 16, 2015 10:42 PM

If you have a full system image backup, with the boot disc, or, instead you have the original recovery media/discs, that should be enough for a total rollback. (very time consuming to do it, and then download 6 years of updates :(

Don

• Proposed as answer by Roger LuModerator Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by frank479 Sunday, August 23, 2015 12:34 AM
    Monday, August 17, 2015 8:50 AM
  • This is NOT an upgrade issue.  I am seeing it on a virgin OEM build of Windows 10 Pro.  Microsoft, please resolve this!!
    Sunday, August 23, 2015 7:12 PM
  • This is NOT an upgrade issue.  I am seeing it on a virgin OEM build of Windows 10 Pro.  Microsoft, please resolve this!!
    So is there a solution?  I too have this issue.
    Thursday, January 7, 2016 5:58 PM
  • I'd like to know too.  I cannot set Application Identity service to Automatic on Windows 10 -access denied- and when I start it manually, set some rules, they don't work, then I look in the applocker logs and I see the above.  Also this certainly isn't the first post concerning this.  My organization wants to upgrade to Windows 10 but applocker has to work.  Right now... it ain't.
    Friday, January 29, 2016 2:29 AM
  • I too am facing these events in logs. I am not familiar with applocker nor did I use it before "upgrading" to WIN 10. I'm getting a lot of errors and unexplained events randomly, applocker seems to be a good portion of them. Could this have anything to do with the infamous "Profile Service Not Started" error at start up which has made do a reinstall of windows 4 times in the past year??????? Any info if these two correlate would be appreciated. 
    Wednesday, August 2, 2017 8:21 AM