Now you can disarming EMET 4.1 Update 1. RRS feed

All replies

• This is due to EMET having DeepHooks off by default.  This was required to allow applications, including security companies products, to have time to make modifications to enable DeepHooks on while their product also performs those lower-level API inspections.

Future releases will have DeepHooks enabled by default.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014 6:35 AM
  • Thank you for your response.
    Do I understand that bypassing Emet produced from off Deep Hooks? And if this is the case, then the inclusion Deep Hooks eliminates bypass Emet?

(Sorry for my English can be understood. I used machine translation.)

• Edited by Oleg Divov Wednesday, July 9, 2014 6:51 AM
    Wednesday, July 9, 2014 6:50 AM
  • That is straight-up FALSE. The disarmament is agnostic to Deep Hooks functionality.

"Since bypassing EMET mitigations has been thoroughly discussed in Bypassing EMET 4.1, we wanted to take a different approach. Instead of bypassing the mitigations introduced by EMET, we focused more on finding a way to disarm EMET. The main advantages of such a method are:

• The ability to use generic shellcode such as the ones generated by Metasploit;
    • A generic way to disable all protections rather than dealing with them one by one during the development cycle of an exploit;
    • Not having to rely on functions that are not critical to EMET when trying to defeat the MemProt ROP protection, especially when having “Deep Hooks” enabled."

http://www.offensive-security.com/vulndev/disarming-enhanced-mitigation-experience-toolkit-emet/

born to learn!

Thursday, July 17, 2014 5:57 PM