none
WinPE missing RRS feed

• Question

• I have been taking regular backups from my Windows 10 Client to a Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials Server, and now wish to test that I will be able to restore the client should this be necessary in the future.

I have downloaded and installed the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit and chosen to install WinPE. The package installed successfully.

When I now try to create a USB Key from Client Computer Backup Tasks / Tools on the dashboard, I get an error message saying "Cannot Find WINPE on the system.

Any suggestions?

Monday, August 10, 2015 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials failed to create a USB Key for Windows 10 client with error “Cannot Find WINPE on the system”.

You may reference/confirm the link below to to preload WinPE on the Essentials server:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn236868.aspx

And then try to create A USB key for Windows 10 and confirm the result.

If the problem persists, I want to confirm with you that if this problem only happened on Windows 10 client? does this a newly upgraded or clean installed Windows 10?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 6:26 AM
  • Thanks Eve.

I thought there must be a way of loading Win PE but couldn't find any reference to it. I have now hit my next problem. As I try to add the components in Step 11, I get the following error. I'll try and track it down but thought you may have seen it before.

Thursday, August 13, 2015 7:23 AM
  • All you need to do is install the WAIK. Then go back to the dashboard and it will configured WDS for you.

http://titlerequired.com/2014/01/30/essentials-2012-r2-client-restore/

You may also be interested to read this,

http://titlerequired.com/2015/08/06/windows-server-essentials-2012-r2windows-10/

Robert Pearman SBS MVP
    itauthority.co.uk | Title(Required)
    Facebook | Twitter | Linked in | Google+

Thursday, August 13, 2015 9:01 AM
  • Hi Robert,

The Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit has installed successfully and my Windows 10 client is being successfully backed up. Unfortunately, I am still getting the message "Cannot Find WINPE on the system."

Peter

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 7:55 AM
  • Just to clarify, The Deployment and Imaging Tools environment is successfully installed onto my server, its just that the dashboard doesn't know where to find the WinPE environment

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 2:31 PM
  • Did you install it to a custom location?

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Thursday, August 20, 2015 11:26 AM
  • No, I took all the defaults
    Friday, August 21, 2015 2:46 PM
  • Looks like this may be a bug. I have just uninstalled Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit for Windows 10 and successfully installed the 8.1 version

Will this get picked up from this forum by Microsoft?

Saturday, August 22, 2015 5:19 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to let me know the result. Your sharing might be helpful for other people who has the similar problem.

I will try to reproduce this problem, and feedback to related department if necessary.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 1:32 AM
  • Unlikely, but interesting none the less!

Robert Pearman SBS MVP

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 6:49 PM
  • I have the same problem now in October 213, 2019, trying to create a bootable USB for a bare metal client restore:

WinPE missing in Windows Server 2012r2,
    using the tool in the Dashboard under Devices->Computer Tasks->Client Computer Backup Tasks->Tools->Create Key...  to create a bootable USB flash drive in Windows Server 2012r2 Essentials for a client computer restore, the message "The bootable USB flash drive could not be created" because "cannot find WinPE on the system"
    The link given to download and install the Windows Assessment and deployment Kit does not work.

I installed adksetup.exe and adkwinpesetup.exe for Windows 10 on the 2012r2 server but continue to get the same message.  Both show up as installed applications however.  I really need to use a USB for my Surface and Toshiba tablet because they communicate via wifi and I don't know how to boot a clean system over wifi.  I don't think anyone else does either.

There must be some trick to making WinPE available to the Dashboard that I am missing.

I presume that adkwinpesetup.exe does the necessary work of installing WinPE that is documented by Eve above ( https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn236868.aspx ) but do not see that explicitly stated here.  Is this manual procedure really necessary as a prelude to restoring a machine?  

Please clue me into the secret!  Thanks 

Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.D.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:46 PM
  • WinPE is Missing - Windows Server 2012r2 Essentials for Windows 10 client restore.

The problem is related to the Windows 10 adksetup/adkwinpesetup.  The feature installs without error but the Dashboard cannot find the WinPE software while trying to create a USB client  boot/restore drive.  I don’t yet know where it is installed but have verified it is not in the folder the Dashboard expects.

Remedy:  Remove the Windows 10 version of the tools.  Install the Windows 8.1 version of the adksetup.exe https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39982

The Dashboard is now able to create a USB boot drive for the client, the client booted to the USB drive, and the complete system restore to a prior version of Windows 10 (1809) completed successfully.  This confirms that the Windows 8.1 adksetup works correctly with a Windows 10 client restore.

My goal was to determine if the Windows 10 (1903) upgrade disabled audio out via the HDMI cable.   It did.  Now three W10 versions old, my HTPC is back up and running with audio. 

Eric Robert Lewis, Ph.D.

• Proposed as answer by erlewis Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:26 AM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 1:26 AM