Recover default Windows 7 (no disk available) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

I have bought an Asus N76VZ laptop about 2 weeks ago, I installed ubuntu (for a course project) and now when it's starting up it says Boot file is corrupted, There was no Windows 7 CD with the package,

I have 2 questions :

1.Is it possible to recover the windows without windows 7 cd ?

2.Is it possible to recover the windows (just like what it was before) by using a Windows 7 disk with same version ?

Thanks ,

Arian

Saturday, October 6, 2012 6:38 AM

All replies

• Does this help ?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/7e935b85-be88-4138-af34-65514926fc39

Don't forget to mark your posts as answered so they drop off the unanswered post filter. If I've helped you and you want to show your gratitude, just click that green thingy.

Saturday, October 6, 2012 11:24 AM
  • Hi Arian,

1. Yes, you can repair the boot menu using command or third party software such as EasyBCD.

2. Yes, you can recovery the Windows with disk with same version.

Niki Han

TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 8, 2012 6:22 AM
  • It didn't respond at all , I pressed F9 but nothing happened

Monday, October 8, 2012 9:31 PM
  • Did you keep tapping it as system booted? Need to tap it repeatedly. If that doesn't wok try tapping f8 to get to another menu and see if Repair the Computer is in that menu.

• Edited by Schloicka Monday, October 8, 2012 9:36 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 9:35 PM
  • I used EasyBCD , but it didn't help , now it gives me another error,

When I start up I have a pink screen having 5 options :

Ubuntu/Advanced options for Ubuntu/Windows UEFI loader/Windows UEFI memory test/Windows Recovery Environment (loader) (on /dev/sda5)

When I choose Windows UEFI loader it gives me this error :

"

error: can't find command 'drivemap'

error: invalid EFI file path.

Press any key to continue...

"

Monday, October 8, 2012 9:37 PM
  • @Schloicka :

I tried other keys repeatedly restarting , only escape works which give me the options to select to boot with which device ,

There's an option named : Windows Boot Manager which selecting it doesn't do anything and continues to the pink boot menu which I told earlier

Monday, October 8, 2012 9:44 PM
  • Did you try what I said to keep tapping f9 as it boots? Did you try tapping f8 as it boots? Try the Windows Recovery Environment.

• Edited by Schloicka Monday, October 8, 2012 9:47 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Yes , actually I tried all Fs , it gives me error , I will post it here in 1 minute
    Monday, October 8, 2012 9:56 PM
  • it gives this error :

when I choose Windows UEFI loader , it gives me two options : 

Windows repair (Recommended)  (when I choose it , two bars are shown on the below which gets completed and after that it goes to pink screen with 5 options )

Start Windows Normally (it shows its loading windows but after few seconds it goes back to pink screen)

Monday, October 8, 2012 10:01 PM
  • I also booted with Grub (in boot setup I chose an option and Grub command line showed up) ,is there any way to load windows and fix things (dual boot) there ?

Monday, October 8, 2012 10:03 PM
  • Give me the 5 options.

• Edited by Schloicka Monday, October 8, 2012 10:04 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2012 10:04 PM
  • Ubuntu/Advanced options for Ubuntu/Windows UEFI loader/Windows UEFI memory test/Windows Recovery Environment (loader) (on /dev/sda5)
    Monday, October 8, 2012 10:07 PM
  • Did you try Windows Recovery Environment?
    Monday, October 8, 2012 10:12 PM
  • yes,

it gives this error :

when I choose Windows UEFI loader , it gives me two options : 

Windows repair (Recommended)  (when I choose it , two bars are shown on the below which gets completed and after that it goes to pink screen with 5 options )

Start Windows Normally (it shows its loading windows but after few seconds it goes back to pink screen)

Monday, October 8, 2012 10:15 PM
  • I'm going to have to read up on this. Sorry I can't help you at the moment.
    Monday, October 8, 2012 10:19 PM