none
How do I get catalog.update.microsft.com to play nice with ie11 64-bit ? RRS feed

• Question

• I was getting nowhere on catalog.update.micrsoft.com with ie11 on windows 8.1 64-bit.

Looks like it was missing an active-x control (and doesn't prompt for it).

I used ie10 on another 64-bit machine (that I've previously used on the website) and grabbed MicrosoftUpdateCatalogWebControl.dll from %windir%sysWOW64 and copied it to the same location on my 8.1 box.  Then ran regsvr32 MicrosoftUpdateCatalogWebControl.dll as an administrator in that directory and everything was peachy.  Thought I'd share in case anyone else ran into this problem.

-T

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:28 PM

All replies

• oh BTW use %windir%system32 for 32-bit machines.

Edit:

Turns out this may be because Microsoft is blocking out of date active-x controls on ie11.

so....Microsoft doesn't trust Microsoft in this case.  Just saying...

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 3:30 PM
  • Hi Taylor,

Thanks for the sharing, It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Add: To access this website, an add-on named "Microsoft Update Catalog" need to be installed and enabled in "Manage add-ons"

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, August 28, 2014 5:56 AM
  • Turns out this may be because Microsoft is blocking out of date active-x controls on ie11.

so....Microsoft doesn't trust Microsoft in this case.  Just saying...

IE is not yet block out-of-date ActiveX controls - that behaviour doesn't start until Sept. 9th, and will only apply to JRE.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Thursday, August 28, 2014 7:15 AM
  • (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

There are
    often such lines, which reminds users whether they should please remember to give my posts a recognition or a tags, indicating the problem is resolved, whether there is not a shadow of a response or indication of a solution that can help the user with current problem.
    It's often questions and problem are closed, and appir as solved.
    But it propperly so it can benefit the upcoming wage negotiations, so we canprovide some statics, showing how effective employee they have.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 2:35 AM