Clearing app-v 4.6 Win7 client cache RRS feed

• Question

• I am using App-v in conjunction with SCCM 2007 for deployment.  I am having trouble with Windows 7 Pro clients not removing programs when I un-advertise them.  I have the box check in the virtual program under SCCM "Remove this package from clients when it is no longer advertised".  Perhaps I misunderstand what this does.  I thought it only needed to be unadvertised for that machine... will it remain if there is an advertisement for it anywhere in SCCM?  

I also have tried to manually clear the cache... deleting the Softgrid Client folder out of C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Application Virtualization Client.  This doesn't work as it tells me that folders or files are open in another program and cannot be deleted... this is also the case directly after a restart of the box.

Any idea why the program wouldn't be removing itself... and also how else I could go about clearing these files and removing a virtual app from the clients.  Thanks!

Friday, June 25, 2010 2:20 PM

All replies

• Hello,

1. How are you "unadvertising" it?

2. Are there other advertisements? 

3. How do you determine that it is not removed?

/Znack

Saturday, June 26, 2010 6:33 AM
  • 1) Deleting the advertisement that is targeting either the user that installed the application... or the machine itself.  Does the user targeting on virtual apps work like machine targeting?  Is it apple to keep track of users installing the virtual apps and uninstall them when it isn't advertised to that user anymore?  I believe this specific case I installed it through a user advertisement.

2)  There are other advertisements of the program advertising it to a completely different set of machines.

3)  The icons still show up everywhere and after a day and a couple reboots after the advertisement was removed, I can still launch the program and run it fine.

Monday, June 28, 2010 2:18 PM
  • Hello,

1. Try to disable it at first... I never liked the idea of deleting stuff...
    Not really sure about the rest of the stuff you are asking?

2. OK - any possibility of interference among them?

3. You said that you deleted the advertisement, so I assume that when you say that the advertisement was removed after a few days - that means? That the start-menu shortcut / fta / other shortcut was removed? That it was gone from run advertised programs?
    How do you start and launch the program?
    Normal permissions should hinder users from creating new shortcuts, so a removal would simply be that the shortcut is removed...
    (I think..)

/Znack

Monday, June 28, 2010 5:17 PM
  • 1)  Ill have to give that a try

2) No, they have no overlapping anything, completely separate

3)  The advertisement wasn't removed after a few days.... a few days after it was removed, deleted, what have you... I could still launch the programs through the shortcuts created.

Ill have to try disabling the advertisement and see if that works... would seem rather silly, but wouldn't be the first time. :)

Monday, June 28, 2010 5:38 PM
  • Disabling the advertisement didn't seem to do anything either.  Could it be because it was advertised to a user and not a machine?
    Wednesday, June 30, 2010 3:24 PM