MS Word, Excel file not opening. RRS feed

• Question

• All old Ms word excel file not opened, showing file conversion error and when I click on OK its open with unreadable language.
    Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:44 AM

Answers

• MS repair option (Open & Repair) is best method to repair corrupt Word & Excel files but sometimes it fails to repair due to level of corruption. At this scenario, following methods could help you:

• Try to restore from fresh copy
    • Try to open the corrupt files with OpenOffice
    • Try to repair corrupt file using file repair software like Stellar Phoenix, Getdata, Kernal etc.

Reference: How to Open Corrupt Microsoft Word 2010 Document

• Marked as answer by George123345 Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:20 AM
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:43 AM

All replies

• What Office version were these files created with? Do they have .doc extensions for Word files and .xls extensions for Excel files? What kind of medium (e.g. USB stick, CD, DVD, HDD, FDD) are you trying to open the files from? Are you sure the medium is not damaged?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:33 AM
  • Hi,

Which Office version did you use now? Which conversion error did you get? Did you try to open a blank Office program and drop the files into it?

If you use Office 2013, please check the below link if it is helpful.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-help/use-word-2013-to-open-documents-created-in-earlier-versions-of-word-HA102749315.aspx

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by George123345 Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:49 AM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:15 AM
  • Hi George,

That link, although it's for Word, has nothing to do with Word's failure to open the files, let alone Excel's failure to open the files.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:40 AM
  • I was facing some problem with my OS, so I format the system after formatting all files show the error.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:56 AM
  • I am using 2010, earlier I was facing some problem with my OS, so I format the system after formatting all files show the error.
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:58 AM
  • It would have been better to have sought help before reformatting your system. It might have been easier to have identified and resolved the problem then. Evidently, your files now have some form of corruption, possibly due to virus infection or due to errors in the copying process. Unless you have known good backups, you may have irretrievably lost all of those files' contents.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:07 AM
  • Update:

Thanks for Mr.Paul advice.

@DineshKumar88    Did you get some message about the files had corrupted? If the files had corrupted, please try to repair them.

1.Start Word and Excel program
    2.On the File menu, click Open.

3.In the Open dialog box, click to select the file that you want to open.
    4.Click the down arrow on the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.

Word: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893672/en-us

Excel: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/repairing-a-corrupted-workbook-HA010342840.aspx

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by George123345 Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:45 AM
    Thursday, February 13, 2014 7:41 AM
  • MS repair option (Open & Repair) is best method to repair corrupt Word & Excel files but sometimes it fails to repair due to level of corruption. At this scenario, following methods could help you:

• Try to restore from fresh copy
    • Try to open the corrupt files with OpenOffice
    • Try to repair corrupt file using file repair software like Stellar Phoenix, Getdata, Kernal etc.

Reference: How to Open Corrupt Microsoft Word 2010 Document

• Marked as answer by George123345 Thursday, February 27, 2014 4:20 AM
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:43 AM