Office 2013 compatibility with AppV 5 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there an expected date where AppV 5 will be compatible with Office 2013, allowing activation through a KMS license host?

Thanks

• Moved by Max Meng Friday, April 12, 2013 6:09 AM
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 2:46 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

It will not be - only Office via subscription is supported. See this article;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2772509

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Friday, April 12, 2013 6:23 AM
  • Hi Znack

Thanks for the reply

Im just wondering why this is not possible? Anyone who has an Office 2013 AppV 5 install, Microsoft are now basically saying you cannot license through a KMS server?!? I think that is ludicrous to be honest. Without manually updating each individual license, how can we make this as streamlined as possible?

Thanks

M

Friday, April 12, 2013 7:49 AM
  • Hello,

Subscription license doesn't mean an individual license - I suggest you contact Microsoft to discuss which licensing option is best for you.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Friday, April 12, 2013 8:05 AM
  • Crazy isn't it.  We've got Office with SA on many 000's of clients and although we tend to install the main office suite traditionally on all machines we use App-V for Project and Visio so it can roam with the user.  We now can't do this with the 2013 versions which makes us look like we are going backwards.

Friday, April 12, 2013 8:16 AM
  • I feel as if we are missing something here though, there must be a way of pointing the Office 2013 AppV 5 install to the KMS host, if not then understandably this is shocking and is one very big step backwards! Fair enough Office365 ProPlus is the next step for office products but when you require a local (virtual local), quick install on a client machine that points to a licensing server, this should be possible!

Alan we seem to be in the same boat! If you find anything useful from Microsoft feel free to post, i will do the same.

Cheers!

Friday, April 12, 2013 9:08 AM
  • Crazy isn't it.  We've got Office with SA on many 000's of clients and although we tend to install the main office suite traditionally on all machines we use App-V for Project and Visio so it can roam with the user.  We now can't do this with the 2013 versions which makes us look like we are going backwards.

Office applications are licensed per-device, not per-user, so from a licensing perspective you can't use App-V to deliver Office applications to users. If you read the prescriptive guidance (especially for Office 2010) it says that Office packages are only supported under App-V as global packages too.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Friday, April 12, 2013 10:40 AM
  • I feel as if we are missing something here though, there must be a way of pointing the Office 2013 AppV 5 install to the KMS host, if not then understandably this is shocking and is one very big step backwards! Fair enough Office365 ProPlus is the next step for office products but when you require a local (virtual local), quick install on a client machine that points to a licensing server, this should be possible!

Alan we seem to be in the same boat! If you find anything useful from Microsoft feel free to post, i will do the same.

Cheers!

Best bet is to talk with your TAM. If there is enough customers needing to deliver the VL edition of Office 2013 with App-V, then Microsoft may provide support.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Friday, April 12, 2013 10:42 AM
  • Thanks Aaron,

That is useful licensing information and at least gives us a sound reason for not pushing Visio/Project through App-V using user targeting.

Friday, April 12, 2013 12:37 PM
  • Thanks Aaron.

It would be nice to be able to deploy Office2013 via AppV 5 with KMS licensing, I would have thought this method would be one of the most obvious methods required.

Thanks for your advice, I will see if I can contact Microsoft before thinking of a seperate deployment method.

Regards
    M

Friday, April 12, 2013 2:07 PM
  • Monday, December 2, 2013 6:06 PM