Applying Security Patch to Project 2003 Sequence RRS feed

• Question

• I am having an issue updating our Project 2003 sequence with a security patch. The process I am using to update is:

1.       Update the Project 2003 administrative installation share with the security patch.

2.       Open the sequence for upgrading.

3.       Run msiexec.exe /i\\%Server%\%Share%\ProjectStd\PRJSTDE.MSI REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus

When running the command from step 3, the following error is displayed “Windows Installer – The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it.”

This process works fine to update the natively installed Office Pro 2003.

Has anyone applied a security or service pack to a Microsoft product sequence?

Thursday, July 1, 2010 7:49 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Where does it expect the source to be available - and is it available on that location?

/znack
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:24 PM
  • Does C:\Windows\Installer or the MSOCACHE folder exist in the package? I think the Office 2003 recipe says to remove the MSOCACHE folder. Removal of one or the other or both removes the ability to patch the package. I'm not sure which folder though - I don't have a package to compare against.
    Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:49 PM
  • Yes, the source is available. I am running the reinstall command from the same location as when the sequence was first created. The difference is the source has been updated with the slipsteamed security hotfox.

Yes, the C:\%WIN%\installer folder is present in the sequence, but I am not sure about the MSOCACHE. If MSOCACHE is represented as $PatchCache$, then it is present in the sequence as well.

Thanks.

Friday, July 2, 2010 2:30 PM
  • I don't think that MSOCACHE is requirement for patching, so that should be OK for your package then.

Instead of patching, can you run the un-install command and then run the same re-install command whilst sequencing? Not a solution, but there;s a workaround that might get you an updated package.

Friday, July 2, 2010 2:52 PM