none
What are the Standard Views and Tables in Project 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to find a definitive list of the Views, Tables, Filters, etc that come with Project 2013.  I can see what is shown in my copy of the Organizer but would like to verify that there is nothing missing or accidently added to the list.

Friday, May 22, 2015 10:24 AM

Answers

• Hi Dale and John,

Thank you very much for your rapid replies.

I closed Project and found my existing Global.MPT file in a 'hidden' folder.  After I renamed it xGlobal.MPT, I restarted Project and could see from the left hand side of the Organizer that everything had been restored to its default.

I noticed that Project didn't appear to create a new Global.MPT file.  However, thinking that Project may not need to, unless something changes, I used the Organizer to add a test 'filter' to the Global.MPT.  This did indeed force a new Global.MPT to be created.  I then deleted the test filter.

To ensure that I don't accidently add / delete anything from Global.MPT again I took out the check mark / tick from the following Project Option:-

File > Options > Advanced > Automatically add new views, tables, filters, and groups to the global.

Now I feel I have better control of the Global.MPT

Many thanks,
    TechNetHelpRequired

Friday, May 22, 2015 4:19 PM

All replies

• TechHelpRequired --

Just for fun, I tried using Microsoft Project Help to see if there was a Help article that listed all of the built-in views.  Apparently I was not smart enough to figure out the right search terms to find that information.  Maybe someone else in this forum can find the relevant Help articles for you.

In the meantime, I would recommend you launch Microsoft Project 2013 and then open a new blank project.  Click File > Info > Organizer and study the list of views, tables, filters, groups, and reports that you see listed on the left side of the dialog.  What you see on the left side of the dialog represents the list of built-in or default views, tables, filters, groups, and reports that are included in the Global.mpt file when you initially install Microsoft Project 2013.

Also, a word of advice:  NEVER delete any of these objects on the left side of the dialog, as there is no easy way to recover deleted default objects, short of reinstalling the software.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, May 22, 2015 1:33 PM
  • TechNetHelpRequried,

Just to add a bit to Dale's most excellent response, Project's default settings are contained in what is called the Global file. That includes the default views, view tables, filters, etc. When a user edits or creates a view, view table, filter, etc., that new/edited version is stored with the file. If it is desired to have that new/edited item available to any new or existing Project file, the Organizer can be used to transfer the new/edited item to the Global.

If for some reason a user's Global file becomes "bloated" or default items lose their default "personality" a new fresh Global can be created by finding the current working Global and moving it to the trash, or give it another name. When Project is restarted, a new clean default Global will be generated.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, May 22, 2015 2:17 PM
  • Hi Dale and John,

Thank you very much for your rapid replies.

I closed Project and found my existing Global.MPT file in a 'hidden' folder.  After I renamed it xGlobal.MPT, I restarted Project and could see from the left hand side of the Organizer that everything had been restored to its default.

I noticed that Project didn't appear to create a new Global.MPT file.  However, thinking that Project may not need to, unless something changes, I used the Organizer to add a test 'filter' to the Global.MPT.  This did indeed force a new Global.MPT to be created.  I then deleted the test filter.

To ensure that I don't accidently add / delete anything from Global.MPT again I took out the check mark / tick from the following Project Option:-

File > Options > Advanced > Automatically add new views, tables, filters, and groups to the global.

Now I feel I have better control of the Global.MPT

Many thanks,
    TechNetHelpRequired

Friday, May 22, 2015 4:19 PM
  • TechNetHelpRequired,

You're welcome and thanks for the feedback.

John

Friday, May 22, 2015 5:51 PM
  • >> I noticed that Project didn't appear to create a new Global.MPT file. 

It does, but while you close it. 

Friday, May 22, 2015 5:54 PM