Quick Access Desktop is Admin RRS feed

• Question

• All of my quick links point to the correct user but Desktop.  I've done some searching but I don't see anything online to help me.  CopyProfiie is set to True for both of my Task Sequences

I have two deployment shares
    one for capturing the image
    one for deploying

The capture sequence does all of my settings and everything has been working but this
    The deployment share just deploys the golden capture

It's just confusing why all of the quick access links are correct but Desktop

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 5:25 AM

All replies

• Have you tried not using copyprofile? I stopped using it when Windows 8.1 came out because it broke a few things and everything has been great without it. I found other ways to accomplish everything I was using copyprofile to do.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015 7:39 PM
  • I'd still like an answer to this too. Until it's depreciated from unattend / Windows 10, it should be a supported method.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 10:57 PM
  • I don't disagree with you, but after learning how to do everything I used to use copy profile for without using copy profile, I stopped caring because the other methods are superior to copy profile.

You can set your pinned taskbar links using the unattend.xml for example. It would go in the oobeSystem pass.
    Example:

<TaskbarLinks>
        <Link0>%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk</Link0>
        <Link1>%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook 2016.lnk</Link1>
        <Link2>%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Word 2016.lnk</Link2>
        <Link3></Link3>
    </TaskbarLinks>
    This is great because you can make changes on the fly without having to rebuild the image.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 3:01 PM
  • I don't disagree with you, but after learning how to do everything I used to use copy profile for without using copy profile, I stopped caring because the other methods are superior to copy profile.

You can set your pinned taskbar links using the unattend.xml for example. It would go in the oobeSystem pass.
    Example:

<TaskbarLinks>
        <Link0>%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk</Link0>
        <Link1>%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Outlook 2016.lnk</Link1>
        <Link2>%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Word 2016.lnk</Link2>
        <Link3></Link3>
    </TaskbarLinks>
    This is great because you can make changes on the fly without having to rebuild the image.

You are correct, and I have moved much of the customization to other processes, but there are remaining items I still set with CopyProfile=TRUE.  Some I have an idea how to move, others I'm going to have to do some research when I can find the time.

(These tasks are performed while logged in as Administrator, prior to capturing the image)

1.        Start Menu Properties
      1.        Unpin everything from the Start Menu, except Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer
      2.        Pin “This PC” and “Settings”.
      3.        Move all pinned icons to the first Start Menu section.  Rename section “Pinned Items”.
      4.        Order: “This PC” – “Settings” – “Microsoft Edge” – “Internet Explorer 11
      5.        Unpin Recently Added Programs.

1.        Set Personalization Defaults
      1.        Right-click the desktop, and click Personalization
      2.        On Background, change Choose a fit to “Stretch”.
      3.        Click Lock screen.  Change Background to “Picture”.
      4.        Set “Get fun facts…” to “Off
    1.        Taskbar properties
      1.        Taskbar tab: Check – “Use Peak to preview…” Click “OK”.
    1.        Remove Unwanted Default Apps
      1.        Open PowerShell as Administrator.
      2.        Type “Set-ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted” and press [Enter].
      3.        Press [Y] and press [Enter]
      4.        Run “C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Windows10AppsUninstall.ps1
      5.        Check for errors, then press [Enter].
      6.         Run “C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Windows10AppsDisableProvisioning.ps1
      7.        Check for errors, then press [Enter].
      8.        Click “Start à Settings” and type Cortana.
      9.          Click on “Cortana & Search Settings”. (kill Search Indexer GUI)
      10.          Switch Cortana to “Off”.
      11.        Run “C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\Windows10CortanaReinstal.ps1”
      12.          Type “Set-ExecutionPolicy Restricted” and press [Enter].
      13.      Close PowerShell.

I would need figure out how to apply these to c:\Users\Default before I could abandon CopyProfile=True

Friday, February 26, 2016 7:55 PM
  • To apply the same start menu for all new profiles:

First, setup a computer and lay out the start menu the way you want it to look, then run this command from and admin command prompt

powershell Export-StartLayout -Path C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\LayoutModification.xml

You can simply copy the XML file to "\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\". How you copy the file there is up to you. You can either manually copy it there or script it during the creation of your image. You can even script it to copy during deployment to clients. If you set the start menu layout during deployment, it will allow you to make future changes without having to build/capture a new image.

You can use a similar method for setting file associations:

dism /online /export-defaultappassociations:c:\users\administrator\desktop\DesktopAssociations.xml

Then during deployment, you can apply those associations:

Dism /online /Import-DefaultAppAssociations:%ScriptRoot%\W10TouchAssociations.xml

See http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2014/01/10/configuring-file-associations-in-windows-8-1.aspx for how to apply different sets of associations if the system is touch capable. (It still applies to Windows 10 and current MDT version) 

Cortana, you can turn that off using a local policy. The wallpaper settings could be done with a simple registry setting import.

Monday, February 29, 2016 2:44 PM
  • Thanks, Dan.

I'll add those to my build / TS to test on the next build.

-Matt

Monday, February 29, 2016 5:18 PM