Sound device not present problem - ac97? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I recently suffered a hard drive failure and had to reinstall Windows XP Home onto my computer.  After which I used the driver disk supplied with the computer to install the appropriate drivers.  The sound worked at this stage.  I then upgraded the OS to XP Professional and all worked well.  I then proceeded to update the system on windows update.  This is when the sound stopped working.  I tried to enable it by using the sound properties but the controls were greyed out and I was told that no audio device was available.  This, despite the drivers all being present and with no conflicts present.  Please help me!  Kindly note that the system is completely up to date with all available windows and driver updates.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 10:33 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

Thank you for posting.

I know that there is no sound on the Windows XP computer after running Windows Update.

Since everything worked before, a quick solution is to restore the system back to the previous status when the issue didn’t occur with System Restore. (Note: Performing a system restore may cause the loss of the current system settings; therefore, before doing this, please make sure that the system restore point is not too old and set a restore point for the current status.)

You can also remove and reinstall the sound card driver to see if it works. If there is a new version of the driver released, please also try it.

Considering that the issue occurred on Windows XP, it is better to go to Windows XP forum for help:

Windows XP forum:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itproxpsp/threads/

Hope this issue will be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, June 8, 2009 11:22 AM
  • Hi Nicholas,

I had already tried removing and reinstalling the sound card drivers / devices but that didn't work.  System restore was not an option for various reasons.  I did manage to sort the problem out in a different way.  The problem stems from the absence of the PnP Enumerator.  Perhaps you may find the solution to this problem rather useful as it seems to be quite a common problem.  I have listed the steps below for you ...

1. Check that the  PnP SoftWare Enumerator is installed on the computer (Device Manager -> System devices) - it should be listed in there!
    2. If it is absent from the list continue the rest of the steps below:
    3. Locate the  "machine.inf" file in your windows folder ... copy it somewhere and make the following modification:
              a. find "ExcludeFromSelect=*" and remove the line or simply exclude it from processing by adding a ";" at the beginning
    4. Check the "machine.inf" file for location where SWENUM should be located usually %windir%\System32
    5. Find "swenum.sys" file on your XP installation CD (in DRIVER.CAB) and copy it to the proper location above
    6. Go to Control Panel /Ad HW and follow the wizard towards manual selection of device to be added
    7. Select Add System device
    8. Select Have disk and use the modified machine.inf file
    9. from the list select standard deviecs (on the left list) and "Plug and Play Software Enumerator" on the right list
    10. Complete the installation

If the drivers are installed, the sound will work immediately.  If on the other and it still doesn't work reinstall the audio adapters' drivers. That worked for me and sound was fully restored.

Hope this can be of help to others.

• Edited by MarkPlatts Friday, June 19, 2009 4:56 PM spelling
    Friday, June 19, 2009 4:55 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to know the exciting news. To better help the users who use Windows XP, please also post your issue and solution to our Windows XP forum.

Thank you for your efforts and cooperation.

Have a great day!

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Monday, June 22, 2009 10:59 AM