I can't get EMET 2.1 to work on XP Home machines RRS feed

• Question

• I was advised by a Microsoft support engineer to move this posting here, so I did.

I can't get EMET 2.1 to work on 2 computers, both XP Home, SP3 with .NET Framework 3.5, SP1...

I now understand that I won't be able to configure system wide DEP on Home versions of XP (I was getting "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application" errors), but I was told by a Microsoft employee that I should be able to opt-in individual applications to DEP using the "Configure Apps" button.  Problem is, that isn't working either, on two different machines... I added browser (IE8), pdf viewer, email client and media player, but when I restarted those apps, they did not appear in the bottom pane as running EMET.

It's my understanding that applications, when added, are supposed to be shown as running with a green checkmark or other symbol next to them? 

I don't see EMET in Process Explorer either.  :( 

I sure could use some assistance.

WinXP, SP3, Sandboxie, VIPRE Antivirus Premium, Norton DNS
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 6:41 PM

All replies

• Those kind of tools are not very good in experience.

What are you trying to achieve, some legacy application?

What kind of tools are not very good in what experience?  EMET is not very good?  In your experience?

What am I trying to achieve?  The protection that EMET gives.

Do you have a solution to my problem?

Sunday, May 22, 2011 7:32 PM
  • I find that cloning a working system to be much more effective.

If you use Seagate or WDC disks they each have a tool to clone the disk.

They license Aconis for their users.

So far, you have replied twice, you've not answered my question either time, you've made statements that I could not understand and I asked you to explain, and you did not answer those questions either.

Then you've told me that you like to do system back ups, which I already do (yes, I use Acronis TI)... and not once have you addressed my question about my issue.  That is what I would like to hear about.  Why isn't EMET running on my computers, given what I have told you?

Sunday, May 22, 2011 8:25 PM
  • EMT is not meant for continual use

Sure it is.  Most definitely EMET is meant for continual use.  No more replies, please.  All due respect, you're not helping, just wasting my time.
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 8:54 PM
  • I have already read that kb article.  Did you note where it states, "EMET is designed to work with any software, regardless of when it was written or by whom it was written. This includes software that is developed by Microsoft and software that is developed by other vendors" ?

Maybe you should read these...

The one security tool every Windows user should know about
    http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/the-one-security-tool-every-windows-user-should-know-about/2848?tag=mantle_skin;content

EMET - A new Windows security mitigation toolkit
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-emet.html

Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit v2.1
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmation.aspx?FamilyID=e127dfaf-f8f3-4cd5-8b08-115192c491cb

There are plenty of articles such as these.  Please, do me a favor, if you do not have a suggestion for helping me with the issue I have posted about, refrain from trying to give me the benefit of your opinions.

Sunday, May 22, 2011 9:15 PM
  • I wonder if there is a clash with some other package.

Your signature mentions NORTON which I have found to be unsuitable compared to Microsoft Security Essentials.

Do you know what Norton DNS service is?  It is not a program like MSE that you mention.  I honestly believe that you would benefit from spending a little more time understanding things before you reply.  @ Vegan Fanatic ... please no more replies, unless you have read the links I provided and wish to retract your statement that EMET is not meant for continual use and is meant only "for larger shops with servers".  What is clear is that you simply are not aware that MANY individual users are running EMET!  Vegan Fanatic, no more replies are requested or needed.  Thank you, and have a good day.
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 9:25 PM
  • screeno,

Saw your post at answers forum and followed here hoping you would get some answersto questions I also had about EMET. Obviously your getting nowhere here. Unfortunately you have not been redirected to proper forum.There is a separate forum for EMET Support.  I am not a MS employee only a community contributer, generally at Microsoft Security Essentials forum, so I can state with impunity that some of the Support Engineers are several bits short of a byte by times. Hopefully you'll have better luck at EMET Support forum.

Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) Support
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/emet/threads

I'll probably follow up to see how things go. Good luck.

Sunday, May 22, 2011 10:05 PM
  • screeno,

Saw your post at answers forum and followed here hoping you would get some answersto questions I also had about EMET. Obviously your getting nowhere here. Unfortunately you have not been redirected to proper forum.There is a separate forum for EMET Support.  I am not a MS employee only a community contributer, generally at Microsoft Security Essentials forum, so I can state with impunity that some of the Support Engineers are several bits short of a byte by times. Hopefully you'll have better luck at EMET Support forum.

Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) Support
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/emet/threads

I'll probably follow up to see how things go. Good luck.

@ rhabdomantist ...

Your post was like a breath of fresh air!  ;)

Thank you for the heads up on the proper forum.  I am way behind in running some non-computer errands and chores, but when I return, I shall definitely post where you advised me to.  And you nailed it about getting nowhere here, so far.  This other fellow ( Vegan Fanatic) is still at it, now asking me about Norton DNS... it's not a program, Vegan.  Go read up on it, man.  You are NOT helping me at all.

Sunday, May 22, 2011 10:26 PM