Project 2016 and Visio 2016 will not start RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased Office 2016 Pro, Project Pro 2016 and Visio Pro 2016.  Office installed fine and Excel, Word and Outlook run.  Both Project and Visio appeared to install, but I was never asked for the product key.  When I try to start either Project or Visio, the cursor changes for a second, but nothing happens.  No error messages. Nothing from Project or Visio shows up in task manager either.

• Edited by MNG2015 Tuesday, November 3, 2015 6:14 PM
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 6:12 PM

Answers

• This is what helped me without reinstalling office and visio:

1. Go to program and features

2. select visio

3. change

4. repair online

5. wait for 5 minutes

6. everything is ok!

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 9:20 AM
  • I had the same problem with Visio 2016 on Windows 10 Pro. I tried all the workarounds mentioned but to no avail. Though I can the Visio sceen when launching it as safe mode from the run command. So I thought something is block the application then tried to add Visio to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Firewall\Allowed apps

then configured VISIO.exe Properties Compatibility > Change settings for all users > 

and it works. After Visio launched, reverted back the settings of both Firewall and Compatibility settings and work just fine. Hope this trial and error steps helps out.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 5:13 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, you seem that purchased all the retail version of Office/Project/ Visio 2016, not Office 365 subscription. Did you purchase from MS online store? Then, please try to following steps to troubleshooting this issue.

1) Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features, and confirm Visio/Project 2016 is listed.

2) Press Windows +R => Visio /S and Project /S to check if Visio/Project can start with safe mode. If they can work in safe mode, I suppose some add-in blocked the starting process. Please disable them and check them one by one.

3) If we can't open Visio/Project with command line, the installation might be corrupted. I recommend you re-move Visio/Project completely and then re-install.

I hope the above information helps. Reply with the result and I'll be glad to further assist you.

Regards,

George Zhao
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:33 AM
  • I'm having the same issue.  Running from a command line with /S didn't help.  I have already removed and reinstalled Visio, checked for any Windows updates, rebooted several times.  When I attempt to start Visio, I get a wait cursor for a few seconds then it turns back to an arrow and that is it.  No splash screen, no error message, it never even shows up in Task Manager.  I have also tried running as administrator.  I get the UAC dialog as I would expect but again, no splash screen or error message.
    Friday, November 6, 2015 6:55 PM
  • Exactly the same issue. Office 365 2016 version installed, downloaded Visio 2016 from DreamSpark.com, installed from the provided .iso, never asked for product key and now I can't start the program
    Monday, November 9, 2015 1:52 PM
  • Mine does the exact same thing.

Start up, silent crash.

Any news from MS? Any fix?

Tried to restart, reinstall, safemode... nothing works.
    Monday, November 9, 2015 3:16 PM
  • Same issue here also

TB

Monday, November 9, 2015 6:16 PM
  • In order to solve the problem, do this

1) Uninstall both Office and Visio

2) Reboot

3) Install Visio

4) Activate Visio

5) Install Office

If you install in this order both Office and Visio are working.

• Edited by chuckf_d Monday, November 9, 2015 10:59 PM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 9:08 PM
  • This is what helped me without reinstalling office and visio:

1. Go to program and features

2. select visio

3. change

4. repair online

5. wait for 5 minutes

6. everything is ok!

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 9:20 AM
  • a series of Updates for Office 2016 came out yesterday (11/10) and all of it seems to be rectified.  for what it's worth I had the non-functional versions installed of both Visio and Project and after the updates they both just launched, asked for license keys and then came up without a problem.  have not exercised them yet but they did come up which is more than they did before the updates.
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 1:46 PM
  • The "repair online" worked perfectly for me too. 

Note that if you had Office installed with a product key (instead of using MS Account login / Office 365 subscription) you will need to enter your key for Office 2016 and Visio 2016 again after the repair is done.

Thursday, November 12, 2015 6:35 PM
  • Strangely enough, the updates for Office 2016 corrected the problem I had with Project 2016. The problem is that I followingly installed Visio 2016, only to find out that it does not start (same behavior as with Project 2016 before updating). Teh updates are no longer available to download and run, so it will need some research to solve this problem too!
    Friday, November 13, 2015 3:22 PM
  • I had the same problem with Visio 2016 on Windows 10 Pro. I tried all the workarounds mentioned but to no avail. Though I can the Visio sceen when launching it as safe mode from the run command. So I thought something is block the application then tried to add Visio to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Firewall\Allowed apps

then configured VISIO.exe Properties Compatibility > Change settings for all users > 

and it works. After Visio launched, reverted back the settings of both Firewall and Compatibility settings and work just fine. Hope this trial and error steps helps out.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015 5:13 PM
  • Hello,

The "repair online" works good form too.

Thanks 

Friday, December 4, 2015 6:10 PM
  • Solution of doing a repair one worked for me!!!

Kevin Wolf

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 11:08 PM
  • Uninstall Visio and install the 64 bit version from setup

setup\office\setup64

Friday, December 11, 2015 10:54 AM
  • Thanks man!

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 3:07 AM