none
MS Update Failures On Hyper-V Servers

Question

• I am wondering if anyone has come across issues installing the latest Security Rollup updates on 2012R2 servers configured with Hyper-V Manager?

We have HP Proliant Gen 9 servers with W2K12R2.  The only ones that fail to install the updates and roll-back are the two setup as Hyper-V hosts, plus a VM that just happens to be the only one that we can't update Integration Services on.

The servers are standalone, not clustered.

I have read Aidan Finn's article regarding problems with KB3161606 but it is not installed.  The replacement KB3172614 is installed.

I have a ticket open with MS and the engineer is looking at a problem with the BCD store but I find it hard to believe that the similar problems on the other two servers are just a coincidence.

Thanks >> Joe

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 3:53 PM

Answers

• In case this helps someone with this problem, our servers are configured with Arcserve UDP v6.0 client for backup. There is a known problem where the UDP client causes the FAT32 partition to appear as RAW, which in turn causes MS updates to fail.

Arcserve has a Patch P0000513.  Once loaded the problem is resolved after a system reboot.

It remains odd that not all servers or workstations were affected.

• Marked as answer by JAGP Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:11 AM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

>>The only ones that fail to install the updates and roll-back are the two setup as Hyper-V hosts

I assume that you are using windows update to install updates for 2012R2 server .

Is there any clue list in WindowsUpdate.log under C:\windows ?

Have you tried to remove hyper-v role then install these update again (If it is possible ) ?

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 7:35 AM
  • We are looking at the logs; still need to compare between the 3 machines.

Production system, so uninstalling Hyper-V is not an option.  We have an old HP server that we may try to run a test config on if it will handle W2K12R2.

Thanks for the input.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 3:48 PM
  • In case this helps someone with this problem, our servers are configured with Arcserve UDP v6.0 client for backup. There is a known problem where the UDP client causes the FAT32 partition to appear as RAW, which in turn causes MS updates to fail.

Arcserve has a Patch P0000513.  Once loaded the problem is resolved after a system reboot.

It remains odd that not all servers or workstations were affected.

• Marked as answer by JAGP Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:11 AM
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 3:11 AM