Subdomain question RRS feed

• Question

• We currently, in production have a single forest, single domain. SIP and SMTP are split  xyz.com = SIP   abc.com = SMTP

We are working on building a test lab in an environment that we have that is in a separate, self contained forest and domain but the dns is test.abc.com  Is it feasable to build a test S4B environment using the test.abc.com DNS records? I dont like using that domain at all no matter how separate it may be.

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 8:28 PM

Answers

• If it is the case, you can setup a separate Active Directory environment namely xyz.com and setup a FE server there instead?

In fact you can (it's Possible) also use, test.abc.com as you mentioned in a separated Active Directory environment.  

• Marked as answer by Patrick Davie Friday, January 12, 2018 7:02 PM
    Monday, December 18, 2017 6:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Patrick,

If I understand correctly ,you want to Lync integrate with Exchange from a different domain and forest ,if so you could integrate Lync and Exchange when deployed in different forests: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg670911.aspx

If you want to deploy a new test SFB environment with abc.com SIP domain and integrate with Exchange server ,you could do this ,please refer to the following  link.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj688098.aspx

Regards,

Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 7:49 AM
  • The purpose at this point is only for a S4B infrastructure so a group can run a tool and all they will do is eun enable and disable csuser and log in to verify IM works. There will bo no connection to any outside network at all. They just want to make sure thier tool can enable and disable. There will also be an exchange environment too. Im thinking I can get away with a single S4B server as a front end and let them powershell into that. I just dont like them having the abc.com domain in the name even though they say it wont escape the network

These are two separate forests

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 2:54 PM
  • Hi Patrick,

Based on my research, if they want to run this tool ,they could run the tool in forests separately .if no network connection ,they cannot make a federation with each other and send IM.

Regards,

Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 18, 2017 1:48 AM
  • If it is the case, you can setup a separate Active Directory environment namely xyz.com and setup a FE server there instead?

In fact you can (it's Possible) also use, test.abc.com as you mentioned in a separated Active Directory environment.  

• Marked as answer by Patrick Davie Friday, January 12, 2018 7:02 PM
    Monday, December 18, 2017 6:38 AM
  • Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Regards,

Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 7:31 AM