Windows 7 kms key on a Windows 2012 R2 kms host RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm trying to install a Windows 7 Professional kms key (retrieved from VLSC portal) on a Kms Host on Windows 2012 R2 server with the following command:

slmgr.vbs /ipk <kms key>

but I get the following error:

The Software Licensing Service reported that the product key is invalid

Is it possibile that Windows 7 Professional is not supported by Windows 2012 R2 kms server?

thanks

Piero

Piero Bacarella - IT Professional - Rome(Italy) http://www.bacarella.info

Thursday, October 1, 2015 11:20 AM

Answers

• You don't enter a KMS key for windows 7 into it. Normally the key are name base on server OS.

Because for example if you take the KMS key for server 2012 R2 it will be able to activate windows 7, windwos 8.0 and windows 8.1 and server 2008 to 2012 r2.

once install on the KMS it should be name something like VOlume_kmS_WS12

GVLK – Generic Volume License Key

Downloads and Keys –> Windows Server –> Windows Server 2012 R2

• Proposed as answer by DonPick Friday, October 2, 2015 6:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Friday, October 16, 2015 2:23 AM
    Thursday, October 1, 2015 1:32 PM
  • How is possibile that a Windows 2012 R2 key can activate Windows 7? In my VLSC I've Windows 7 and Windows 2012 R2 product keys into different licenses.

I try to explain the scenario more clearly:

I've a VMware Horizon View infrastructure. When I deploy the desktop pools (Windows 7) I want that all clients can activate the licenses automatically.

I want to enable the KMS service on a domain controller. DNS SVR record is configured.

Is it right that I need to add the Windows 7 KMS Product keys (retrieved from VLSC) into the KMS server (domain controller)?

Please see section 1.2, for the functional scenarios:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134256.aspx

Because the Windows KMShost product key has two purposes:
    1) it is the product key for the Windows license of the KMShost OS computer itself
    2) it enables the KMShost feature upon the KMShost computer

Because of (1), the Windows7 KMS key cannot be loaded upon WindowsServer OS.
    Because of that, WindowsServer KMShost product keys have the additional feature of issuing activation to Windows "Client" OS KMSclients.
    But, if you do not have any WindowsServer OS in your organisation, but you may have many Windows7, you can configure a Windows7 computer as KMShost - in this scenario, you must use the Windows7 KMShost product key upon a Windows7 computer.

Don

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, October 14, 2015 4:50 AM
    Friday, October 2, 2015 12:19 PM

All replies

• You don't enter a KMS key for windows 7 into it. Normally the key are name base on server OS.

Because for example if you take the KMS key for server 2012 R2 it will be able to activate windows 7, windwos 8.0 and windows 8.1 and server 2008 to 2012 r2.

once install on the KMS it should be name something like VOlume_kmS_WS12

GVLK – Generic Volume License Key

Downloads and Keys –> Windows Server –> Windows Server 2012 R2

• Proposed as answer by DonPick Friday, October 2, 2015 6:23 AM
    Thursday, October 1, 2015 1:32 PM
  • Hi Piero,

As far as I know, I'm afraid Windows Server 2012 R2 could not be a KMS host for Windows 7.

As Frederick mentioned, installing a Windows Server 2012 R2 KMS key could activate Windows 7.

The KMS key for the newer OS will also activate the previous generation. Server KMS key could activate client OS. But client KMS key could not activate server OS.

Here is the reference for KMS:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/22510.volume-activation-kms-mak-adba-avma.aspx

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 2, 2015 6:11 AM
  • How is possibile that a Windows 2012 R2 key can activate Windows 7? In my VLSC I've Windows 7 and Windows 2012 R2 product keys into different licenses.

I've a VMware Horizon View infrastructure. When I deploy the desktop pools (Windows 7) I want that all clients can activate the licenses automatically.

I want to enable the KMS service on a domain controller. DNS SVR record is configured.

Is it right that I need to add the Windows 7 KMS Product keys (retrieved from VLSC) into the KMS server (domain controller)?

many thanks to all!

P

Piero Bacarella - IT Professional - Rome(Italy) http://www.bacarella.info

Friday, October 2, 2015 8:30 AM

Please see section 1.2, for the functional scenarios:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134256.aspx

Because the Windows KMShost product key has two purposes:
    1) it is the product key for the Windows license of the KMShost OS computer itself
    2) it enables the KMShost feature upon the KMShost computer

Because of (1), the Windows7 KMS key cannot be loaded upon WindowsServer OS.
    Because of that, WindowsServer KMShost product keys have the additional feature of issuing activation to Windows "Client" OS KMSclients.
    But, if you do not have any WindowsServer OS in your organisation, but you may have many Windows7, you can configure a Windows7 computer as KMShost - in this scenario, you must use the Windows7 KMShost product key upon a Windows7 computer.

Don

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, October 14, 2015 4:50 AM
    Friday, October 2, 2015 12:19 PM