none
Lock domain computers GPO

Question

• I am looking for a Group Policy setting to lock a workstation after 15 minutes of idle time. I see where the screensaver settings are but wondered if there was a simple "lock computer" setting instead. Thanks.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 9:25 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

According to my research, there’s no better solution than screen saver. However, please note the condition of this method working as shown below.

Besides the aforementioned three group policy settings, you’ll need to enable “Force specific screen saver” in case screen saver is not specified by clients.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Shane Paluo Wednesday, August 31, 2016 12:27 AM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 12:59 PM
  • Basically you need to set - as mentioned above - the screensaver settings:

Or whatever time you like.

Also make sure the file logon.scr file always exists - copying by gpo or changing the security settings is probably the easiest method. If users are deleting the file, locking down the computer by gpo won't work.

• Edited by Manuel Walz Tuesday, August 30, 2016 1:53 PM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 1:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

According to my research, there’s no better solution than screen saver. However, please note the condition of this method working as shown below.

Besides the aforementioned three group policy settings, you’ll need to enable “Force specific screen saver” in case screen saver is not specified by clients.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 12:59 PM
  • Basically you need to set - as mentioned above - the screensaver settings:

Or whatever time you like.

Also make sure the file logon.scr file always exists - copying by gpo or changing the security settings is probably the easiest method. If users are deleting the file, locking down the computer by gpo won't work.

• Edited by Manuel Walz Tuesday, August 30, 2016 1:53 PM
    Tuesday, August 30, 2016 1:53 PM