locked
Failed to Read the file:Could not get all list item versions RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm getting the error below when using the SPMT (v2.0.99.0 and v2.0.99.1) to migrate a few different lists.  

    Failed to Read the file:Could not get all list item versions

    While most of the items are copied to SP Online, I'm not sure how to handle this.  I've tried using the SPMT with and without preserving versions. I'm able access the list item and version history of the list item that failed to copy.



    Tuesday, May 1, 2018 8:01 PM

All replies

  • I'm looking for an answer for this same error.  Migrating items from Sharepoint 2013 to Sharepoint Online using the SMPT (v2.0.99.0).  In my current environment I do not have versioning turned on and have tried using the migration tool with and without preserving versions as well.

    I have noticed that (so far as I can tell) the items that fail with this error are ones in which the last modifed by user is someone who's account no longer exists in our environment.  Not sure if that helps you any at all but I'm going to keep troubleshooting down that path and will respond back if I get any further.

    Thursday, May 10, 2018 4:35 PM
  • Thanks HeyHey.  That was something else I thought about, but I also noticed the SPMT successfully migrates other list items where there are inactive users.  I would expect for the SPMT to bomb out altogether if there's a problem with inactive users.  I just tried running the SPMT and turned off the Azure AD lookup.  Still failed with the same error on the same list item.  This error has popped up on other lists and libraries as well.
    Thursday, May 10, 2018 7:36 PM
  • I've found that in my case the ones it fails on are for a SPECIFIC user that no longer has an account.  He was the previous Sharepoint Admin and whatever method he used to migrate data from Sharepoint 2010 to Sharepoint 2013 gave all items his username in the Created By and Modified By fields.

    This was done few years ago and there are still quite a few items that have not been modified since he initially migrated the data.

    If I open up one of these items and then change/save it to give it my own Modified By user, the file successfully migrates.

    I'm working now on a script to change the Modified By fields that have his specific username attached.  Not sure if this helps out in your case or not.

    Friday, May 11, 2018 10:04 PM
  • hi, Kurt,
    Please share everything under C:\Users\%user name%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MigrationTool\admin@XXXX.onmicrosoft.com\WF_XXXXX folder to Migration dev servicing migration_team@microsoft.com.


    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:21 AM
  • Thanks for your feedback. if you got any issue, please feel free to share everything under C:\Users\%user name%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MigrationTool\admin@XXXX.onmicrosoft.com\WF_XXXXX folder to Migration dev servicing migration_team@microsoft.com.

    Tuesday, May 22, 2018 5:24 AM
  • Thanks - this worked for me too
    Monday, May 28, 2018 5:11 PM
  • Thanks Helen. You and I exchanged a few email. I'm adding your response to this thread for others to be aware of.

    Known bug: SPIN#566331. We already had a build ready for this fix in internal build 2.0.99.5. It will be included in next GA update which is planed in earlier June.

    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 12:59 PM
  • I tried SPMT v2.0.99.12 (first release) and the error is still there. 
    Edit: Just tried v2.0.99.14 and error is still there.


    Monday, June 11, 2018 8:38 AM
  • .14 worked for me.  Migrated my list 100%.
    Thursday, June 21, 2018 2:29 AM